Television segment on JWs and the Australian Redress Scheme

by Listener 23 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Listener
    Listener

Tonight there was an 8 minute segment allocated to reporting on JWs regarding child abuse and the redress scheme. It was presented by Lisa Wilkinson for The Project.

The Australian Branch has issued a statement to the Show advising that they will not be joining the scheme.

They state:

Statement From The Jehovah’s Witnesses
    The religion of Jehovah’s Witnesses does not have the institutional settings that the voluntary National Redress Scheme is designed to cover.
    Therefore, the Ministry for Families and Social Services has been advised that Jehovah’s Witnesses will not join the Scheme.
    Jehovah’s Witnesses have responded and will continue to respond directly to individual claims for redress in a caring, fair, and principled manner, taking into consideration the unique circumstances of each claim.

https://10play.com.au/theproject/articles/statement-from-the-jehovahs-witnesses/tpa200621ycelq

I do not know whether those outside of Australia can access the program but if you can then the segment begins at 31.33

https://10play.com.au/theproject

Lisa Wilkinson who speaks as she sees things concluded with

"Maybe remember that next time one of them knocks on your door. The cruelty of it all is breathtaking."

No doubt, the 'JW's do not have the institutional setting that the voluntary National Redress Scheme is designed to cover'.

That's because the Australasian Branch can only accept instructions and direction for the Headquarters in New York, regardless of what they may think is morally right or not.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Logged in to watch it. Very concise segment. If they don't sign up by June 30, 2020, the state governments are threatening to remove their charitable status. That would be interesting.

• hoser
    hoser

Covid 19 did the organization a favour. If they are forced to sell off the limited assets they have in Australia it will be a good time to switch to an internet religion.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Listener - "...No doubt, the 'JWs do not have the institutional setting that the voluntary National Redress Scheme is designed to cover'... That's because the Australasian Branch can only accept instructions and direction for the Headquarters in New York, regardless of what they may think is morally right or not."

And also because they've already funneled the bulk of the Aussie WT savings out of the country...

...specifically so they could say this.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    hoser - "Covid 19 did the organization a favour. If they are forced to sell off the limited assets they have in Australia it will be a good time to switch to an internet religion."

Which, in turn, makes it that much easier for faders, fakers, and fence-sitters to GTFO.

A lot of XJWs tend to think that a violent crash-and-burn is the best end for the Org, and there would definitely be considerable satisfaction in seeing that...

...but a slow, ignominious decline is way more permanent.

As far as I'm concerned, the WTS is already a shadow of its former glory...

...regardless of whether it enables the Org to survive, turning into an e-religion can't help but be a further step down.

• AndersonsInfo
  • Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

Many thanks for putting up the link, shocked at their attitude to the to the victims of the abuse ,

Thoughts to the victims not even an apology for covering up and failing to report the perpetrators to the authorities .

• cofty
    cofty

That link works in the UK thank you Barbara.

It is truly astonishing. The cult has spent decades telling their members about the importance of being a good witness to people on the outside. Now they seem determined to publicly drag the name of their god through the gutter.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Also should point out that this program is popular in Australia and my guess is that a lot of jws saw it.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

My wife saw this last night and told me about it so I just watched it on catch up TV a few minutes ago.

Very damning for for the JW religion Lisa certainly didn`t pull any punches she told it how it is.

ARC videos are case 29 and 54 if my memory serves me correctly. Justice McClellan and Angus Stewart were also very critical of the Jehovah`s Witnesses policy dealing with abuse victims.

We can only hope that they do lose their charitable Status.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit