Jesus on the stake

by dothemath 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dothemath
    dothemath

I sat in recently with some relatives for the Sunday meeting. The talk was given by a bethel speaker, who at one point quoted John 20:25

“But he said to them: “Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and stick my finger into the print of the nails and stick my hand into his side, I will never believe it.”

Except he didn’t say “nails”, he paraphrased “nail” only.

Any picture portraying the torture stake always shows only one nail in Jesus’ hands. It seems pretty ironic since they always pride themselves on such attention to detail.

Maybe trying to fit the scriptures into a pre-conceived idea?

Similarly they always show the famous inscription above Jesus’ hands, not as recorded in Matt. 27:37

“They also posted above his head the charge against him, in writing: “This is Jesus the King of the Jews.”

Whether or not there was a stake or a cross, they’re more than ready to adjust the details to their beliefs.

• Half banana
    Half banana

First of all there are no eyewitness acounts of the execution of a miracle worker called Jesus. In other words the story of his death comes from literature not historical facts

In latin the word crux from which we get crucifixion referred to the gibbet or simple scaffold on which the condemned were hung, it was not defined by its shape. It could be any upright pole with a cross member nailed on the top of the post or no cross member-- or it could be a living tree. The punishment of crucifixion referred to the agonising death incurred, especially if all the weight was on the nailed hands without support from the legs. Either way it was a humiliating, agonising death and a hideous reminder for onlookers to obey the Roman ordinances.

And yes dothemath, the GB are far more likely to highlight anything which furthers their own viewpoint. Religious thought only looks for affirmation of existing beliefs, never does it investigate counter information.

In the past the WT understood that the Christian cross is pagan so they look for ways to downplay any link of their brand of religion with conventional Christianity. These days all that seems to matter is blind obedience to HQ.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

JC was dying on the cross stake.

he calls out to Peter

"Peter--come unto me"

"yes Lord" replies Peter--and fights his way past the Roman guards to get to Jesus...who gasps:

"Peter..Peter..'

"yes Lord"

"Peter.....i can see your house from up here "

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

When was PIMI I had come to the conclusion, decades before I left, that Christ had to have meet his end on a cross. My biggest regret that it wasn’t enough to wake me up. Apart from whats been mentioned above, the fact, that the account says Jesus carried it on his back. Remember this was from a guy who had been significantly beaten, which would of made carrying a pole heavy enough a support his under his arm almost impossible.

• Davros
    Davros
    Did Jesus die on a cross or a torture stake? Who cares!! To quote a former Secretary of State, “What difference does it make”? Such trivial bull$&*t. If a person wants to believe that Jesus died, then who cares if there was a crossbeam or not or if there was one nail or two. Total crap argument that they started.
  • dothemath
    dothemath

If that’s your opinion, fine. But this category is called “bible research and study articles”.

If you think it’s a waste of time, don’t bother with this category then.

• Davros
    Davros

Oh I'm sorry. I thought this was a discussion board where we get to express our opinions on all tjhings JW.

The intent of my post is that the witnesses are the ones who started this cross vs torture stake debate. It was done mostly to keep themselves separate from christendom. And I was just expressing MY opinion that I think the whole arguement or debate on this subject that the Witnesses started is a complete and utter waste of time. If Jesus dies for our sins, then what difference does it make to anybody if there was a crossbeam or not on the device he was nailed to? The device he died on is totally unimportant. The end result is the same....Jesus died for our sins.

I'm sorry if I didn't play by your rules or neglected to look at what ":catagory" this topic was supposed to be in. I guess using the Hottest or Latest buttons at the top of the page is not the approved way of viewing all the topics on this site.

I guess I have to be careful on what topics I comment on here. Just like being back in the KH. I guess I have to censor myself here too.

I'll ask for your approval next time before I comment. Is that better???????

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    First of all there are no eyewitness acounts of the execution of a miracle worker called Jesus. In other words the story of his death comes from literature not historical facts

Half Bananna, Are you saying that you don't believe Jesus died?

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Like all religions, jw's only pay attention to the fine details, the root meaning of Greek and Hebrew word, when it supports their teachings. Nothing new here!

just saying!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Did Jesus die on a cross or a torture stake? Who cares!!

@Davros ......

I could not agree more. I always thought that Jesus sacrifice was his life, not exactly how he died. Would it have made any difference if Pilate had nailed Jesus to his garage instead of a cross or stake? I don't think so. I thought the sacrifice thing was the meaning or purpose of the entire process.

But then religions have to get twisted up in the details.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit