What’s the most effective way to wake the largest amount of JW’s up?

by Farmer Jim1 20 Replies latest jw friends

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

What each person's breaking point turns out to be is highly personal. I think this is because the system is so intrinsically built up such that public questioning and exploration of doubts is completely forbidden, it results in everyone's doubts being isolated from each other, and since they develop in isolation there can be a enormous amount of variation. What works for one person won't even phase another. That's why it's important to have lots of people doing lots of different things to try to wake people up.

That said, I do think that there are methods that are almost certainly not helpful to anyone, or at the very least they reinforce the cult beliefs in more JWs than they actually have a chance of waking up. Aggressive protesting of conventions or extremely confrontational encounters at carts or at the door are likely among these, in my opinion.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

jwfacts probably

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

From my own experience - and that of some who are very close to me - being unjustly attacked by the "shepherds" was the catalyst which opened my eyes. From that point onwards, everything in the JW garden started to smell.

Each individual may require a certain catalyst, but Pharisaic elders make it so much easier!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    What’s the most effective way to wake the largest amount of JW’s up?

And you want to do that because...

• Dagney
    Dagney

For a person to "wake up" is highly individual. Usually someone has to at least question the org to be open enough for information. I have reconnected with some people from my teenage years and congregation. Last week I met up with some and we discussed what led us out, and all of us just knew something wasn't right, and we didn't belong there anymore. They followed their intuition far earlier than I did. Stupid me.

I've met quite a few people who stumbled upon this website while googling infor for JW's. They got lost in the discussions then next thing you know they are looking up all kinds of things. They weren't even questioning until they read things in this website.

JW Facts for the real deal. Paul has done such a great service in providing that website.

Youtube videos are really effective. Everybody I know that has left has watched far more exJW videos than me, and can tell me what they have learned from each of them, who they like and who they don't like.

It's an exciting time. All the sources are having a great effect.

• Brian J
  • Half banana
    Half banana

One avenue is for awake elders to take as many friends with them as they exit. Two awake elders working together could probably take out half the congregation if they played it right. I believe seventy or so left the Lethbridge, Alberta congregation after the departure of James Penton.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Farmer Jim1 - "What’s the most effective way to wake the largest amount of JWs up?"

Participating here, IMO.

You'd be surprised how many current, active rank-and-filers lurk.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    Farmer Jim1 - "What’s the most effective way to wake the largest amount of JWs up?"

Live a successful life and see how many of your former friends are jealous of your success. I purposely keep my facebook pictures public in the hope that my former JW brothers and sisters can see that there is life after the Borg.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    OneEyedJoe - "What works for one person won't even phase another."

I can definitely vouch for that.

I've read countless stories here about how the 1995 "generation change" was the tipping point for people, but for me, it almost had the opposite effect.

I'd realized by the mid-90s that time was literally running out for all the mundane "real-world" events in WT eschatology to take place and still fall within the the time frame accepted by the previous "generation understanding" (e.g. the 20th Century).

As far as I was concerned, the change bought some urgently-needed breathing room for the Org to still somehow be right in the end.*

*Which, I realize now, allayed my deep fears that I'd have to leave if/when it became obviously wrong, and thusly be ostracized by my family and peers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit