Did your congregation rehearse service meeting parts?

by compound complex 12 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

GREETINGS:

I was just thinking back to some parts I conducted. When other publishers were involved in the part, its success often depended on how well rehearsed the participants were. Timing, proper interplay of dialogue, dramatic impact, etc.

As the one giving the part or as one drafted to do a demo, did your elders require rehearsals?

It wasn't enough we had all those meetings, field service, hall cleaning . . .

After a while, my family stopped saying yes to Br. Never Prepared, who called 2 hours before meeting time and asked us to do a presentation or whatever.

Kindly share your memories. THANKS!

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

haaaaaaaaa - your kidding right?

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

in the early 70's we had a coordinator for the service meeting and anyone who had a part met at the hall after the book study on Tuesday to run through it. We went every week and we had a way to go not living in the congregation territory. I still had school the next day

• sir82
    sir82

Bwa-ha-ha - rehearsals?

Nope.

We'd be content if someone was dumb, er, cooperative, enough just to agree to go on stage.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Technically, every part is supposed to be rehearsed in front of the PO or COBE before the night of the part.

In reality, it rarely ever happens!

• millie210
    millie210

Yes. Rehearsals. Yawn.

Like CoCo said...as if we didnt have enough to do!

• Mandrake
    Mandrake

I always gave the old no.4 assignment preparing at arrival and putting just 10-20 lines and some texts in between, all the rest was improvising, but good improvising, they always praised my "preparation"

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

In some instances I remember that being the case, but not all the time. Some times I remember my father going out to rehearse some parts, and my mother too, though my mother never stuck to any script.

• exjwlemming
    exjwlemming

I'm with ttdtt. You got to be kidding me! When I was in, there were a couple of elders that would call the house about 45 minutes to an hour before the meeting. There were looking for a demonstration, an experience, an interview, a reader, or something. They were masters at procrastinating and didn't even care about the assignment. My "gung-ho" ex would answer the phone and take on any assignment to give her the spotlight for 5-10 minutes. Very quickly, I learned to leave the phone off the hook at atleast 90 minutes before the meeting. It worked for awhile until cell phones came into the picture. ;)

• Dagney
    Dagney

Yep. I remember rehearsing some demos for the "Service Meeting." I remember one about the GT, and disguising yourself, carry a wig and a reversible coat. Actually it was fun at the time, even though you are rehearsing for the end of the world. If that just doesn't mess with your head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit