My gay friend went back to JWs?

by schnell 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• schnell
    schnell

One of my best friends was disfellowshipped several years ago, and word quickly got around that it was because he's gay. We lost touch after that because of the disfellowshipping, but since I'm out now, I just found him online and got back in touch with him. It was a great conversation, but he said he returned to Jehovah.

I don't understand. I know several gay friends who grew up in the truth, and this makes two who are still believers. I have another friend who married her partner, and is still happily married, still goes to memorials and conventions and some meetings despite the homophobia, and worries about what she'll say to God in the end. I don't get it.

Well, the conversation went great and we're mutually respectful, but he knows I'm inactive. I wish him the best, and I hope he's happy whatever happens.

• cofty
    cofty

A lot of ex-JWs never really make the effort to work out why the organisation - and all other faith-based groups - are objectively wrong. More than wrong: why they are harmful.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

When I left I was still partially indoctrinated and but still had some reservations about it possibly not being "the truth", however despite that I couldn't stomach the self righteousness and judgementalism and if it was the truth God would just have to destroy me so in my mind I chose death over that cult and friends and relatives who are still in it.

LRG

• Disassociated Lady 2
    Disassociated Lady 2

If a gay person returns to the JWs they are expected to remain celibate. I should imagine they are also watched intently if they speak to anyone in the congregation who are the same sex. How can anyone feel comfortable living like that? xxx

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Maybe he is a glutton for punishment.

• schnell
    schnell

I couldn't do that. I'm introspective enough about my own sexuality to say that it's important to be honest and understanding, not subject to tyranny.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I don't understand how any gay person can be xian in any way. The bible is clear about its hatred.

I have known some homosexuals who literally hate themselves because of who they are naturally as human beings, which conflicts with an historically incorrect collection of hate-filled, bizarre ramblings from the Bronze Age.

These dear ones have tried suicide, drinking themselves to death, and other horrible means of self-punishment.

The fear of being oneself, as one was born, is confusing to me.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

One of my best friends was disfellowshipped several years ago, and word quickly got around that it was because he's gay. We lost touch after that because of the disfellowshipping, but since I'm out now, I just found him online and got back in touch with him. It was a great conversation, but he said he returned to Jehovah.

I don't understand. I know several gay friends who grew up in the truth, and this makes two who are still believers. I have another friend who married her partner, and is still happily married, still goes to memorials and conventions and some meetings despite the homophobia, and worries about what she'll say to God in the end. I don't get it.

Well, the conversation went great and we're mutually respectful, but he knows I'm inactive. I wish him the best, and I hope he's happy whatever happens.

Not the first. Honestly, as a gay man myself, I don't see his going back in spite of being gay any different than going back for any other reason. There are a number of people who return to get reinstated for a variety of reasons, and to me they all fall in the same category, and ultimately, it's the exact same effect.

In his case he may have issues with his sexuality, but so do many others of other sexual orientations.

It's a very sad pathetic move to go back to the JWs. It's just sad to see that in anyone.

• schnell
    schnell

I wish I could like all your replies, but the forum doesn't seem to be letting me.

It's a very sad pathetic move to go back to the JWs. It's just sad to see that in anyone.

Preach. You're giving up so much of yourself no matter what if you do that.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Adding to what cofty said , as far as JW`s are concerned ,to many people its an emotional thing ,believing JW`s have the truth ,its not based on facts or even knowledge.

They only have a superficial understanding of what is JW truth , no in depth knowledge of what they are supposed to believe.

So the many who do leave the religion and then go back after a while ,do so because they leave the "truth" in their mind , however the "truth" ( in their eyes ) never leaves them ,so they go back to what they know.

They are lazy xians who never bothered to base their beliefs on accurate knowledge and facts in the first place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit