• marital counseling
    • budgeting
    • job seeking
    • how to conduct a marriage ceremony
    • how to conduct a funeral

OTWO correct..

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I'm with exjwlemming, it lends an air of mystery and self-importance to the whole thing. They probably could condense it into a day or two, but they're too legalistic for that, and the Elders probably like going to longer sessions, not because of the length, but because it looks good to others. It fits into their whole Elders do so much narrative.

• asp59
    asp59

Has there been 1 % improvment in KH from the day they started school? Think not. It just a self importance course

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I think it is because they have to sit and watch video presentations whereas in the past elders got up and presented talks. Now it's watch a video, discuss the video, and then see if the conclusions in the room agree with the 2nd part of the video which tells them how to use or interpret the 1st part of the video.

If you have to do that for each of the chapters in the elder text book. Yawn. 4-5 days easily and usually from 8.00am to 5.00pm.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Never underestimate the power of an elder's ego. A special school for me? Just for me? My very own? Thank you Jehovah and Jesus for giving me the tools to be your star in Jesus' right hand. Ugh.

• stillMS
    stillMS

I've not been to elders schools - only to the old MS schools. Another important part of those 'Kingdumb schools' used to be guilt-tripping.

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

I think what is happening is that the two different "schools" for elders are being confused here.

Every 3 years roughly there is a Kingdom Ministry Scool lasting about 2 days which takes place evrywhere at about the same time. It covers sttuff from the elders book, letters from the society and does indeed contain many videos these days. I think the next of these is at the end of this year.

There is also a "school" for congregation elders which is more like a pioneer school. Over several years the programme is delivered around the world to about 30 at a time. It lasts a full week, though I think it ends on friday lunchtime. It is supposed to be about building up and encouraging elders and training them to be better speakers. There is a lot of question and answer (KMS is mostly talks).but probably videos these days as well.

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

This "arrangement" will motivate elduhs who are to a certain point humble haughty and elduhs who are haughty arrogant, turning into el-thugs-bullies!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Why? .. ..... WHY NOT.?

A long long time ago I attended a 2 week elders school at a local KH . Previous courses had been a month at Bethel!

It covered a lot of ground from Bible Discussion to cong. Procedures.At the time I loved it . The Bro chairing it was very skilled, I wonder if they have his ilk today?

( Anybody else remember Bro David Gibson? )

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

I remember when my dad was briefly an elder in the 70s. He went to an elders school. Think it was a week, dunno.

The last one I went to was a day, never 2.

Hell, I suffered through 8 FUC#ING WEEKS of Ministerial Training School in 2002 (62nd US class). Illingworth was tolerable to listen to, Manera was horrible to listen to, except his stories of the old days. He was a walking Proclaimers book. In retrospect, they were both pompius asshats.

Glad I don't waste my 5 weeks vacation on any of that horse crap anymore.

Snakes (Rich)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit