What are your thoughts about Mormons?

by Iamallcool 35 Replies latest jw friends

• NonCoinCollector
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I've worked with a number of LDS members, and they are much more "real" than JWs. Good people!

Years and years and years ago I visited the sacred site in New York state where Joe Smith received the unseen tablets from the angel Moron-i.

The LDS theology is total bunk!

• carla
    carla

True story, years ago when my jw was first joining up one of the kids sees 2 guys walking down the sidewalk with ties and carrying book/bag, child says, "ugh, jw's!" I said, "no, not jw's" child, "how can you tell the difference?" I said, "the Mormons are smiling". Made perfect sense to child and child readily agreed as they had Mormon friends who were friendly and inclusive to all the kids in school. Also, the Mormons had name tags and no suit coats. We had never, ever seen jw's walking or coming to our doors with smiles on their faces and the jw's kids were 'odd' to be kind, ok, they were downright weird. Sorry, no offense but they were, at least the ones around our school.

• Biahi
    Biahi

When I was a kid, Mormon missionaries came to our door. (I was at school). My mom invited them to come back when my dad was home that evening. I sat there that night, listening to the verbal ping pong. I remember thinking that they both sounded like the blind leading the blind. Lol

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

isnt that where the watchtower got the " elder" idea from ?

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

In contrast with the JWs, they are a more family-friendly religion. Also, according to the late Raymond Franz, Nathan Knorr himself once volunteered that the Mormons “look after their people better” than do the JWs.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Mormons are more career/wealth/education driven than JWs. This has its drawbacks as well as its obvious upside, to the extent that a Mormon without a great career probably feels a failure in the church, whereas a JW without a great career can still feel good about themselves. In fact in some cases it might be a badge of honour for a JW to lack education and a career, which is obviously going to the other extreme.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I've known a few, and liked all of them. But many of their beliefs are crazy-out-there. Pure Bunk. They still believe that the American Indians are descendents of the Israelites who fled Jerusalem at its destruction, got on boats, travelled across the oceans, landed on the American continent somewhere (differing opinions on where that landing occurred). Totally made up.

Edited to add: I might have some of the details wrong, but I don't have the patience to look it up.

• waton
    waton

got on boats, travelled across the oceans, landed on the American continent somewhere (differing opinions on where that landing occurred). Totally made up

doykl: you should see the boats they show in their Salt Lake City "museum" depictions. These were the sturdiest oak timber work of art you can imagine. puttin Noah's ark to shame, and the prairie schooners they came into west in.

On a personnel note, I'd rather have Romney than Trump lead the right. more strictly conservative, hiddenly hanging on to impossible beliefs, rather than flailing all over the place, like the man with the mane. and

talking of 10 tribes travel, LDS legend might have them in machu picchu, British Israel on the other hand, got them stuck in G DAN sk (danzig). great shipyards there too.

On a personal note: I always liked to confront the LDS elders with Gal 1:6, : "not to get into another good news" than biblical. preached by Paul***. Still like to do the same, with elders (wt this time).

*** like the Lord's commandment of ! Coir 14: -- 37.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Mormons assume their religious texts are true. And that’s that. They show you the Bible as bait but what they really want is to push the the book of Mormon. Any belief in the Bible is subordinate to what they already believe according to their texts. They measure the Bible using the book of Mormon and their other books as the ruler. In Islam they teach that the Bible has been changed so many times and therefore because their book has never been changed it is of divine origin. The Mormons only like the KJV because their book quotes verbatim from it. But how can you show a ruler that an inch is not an inch when that standard is used to measure the Bible? And you don’t want to be rude and and disrespectful but you get absolutely nowhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit