After 52 years a Watchtower slave 9/11 gave me the push I needed to get out.

by new boy 30 Replies latest jw friends

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Well, glad to know that you got out, new boy.

I was at work when I saw the smoking tower after the first plane hit. Then I saw the second plane hit and realised it wasn't an accident.

It didn't get me out, but later I saw the WT's muted reaction and wondered would they have been so quiet if catholic terrorists did it. That got me thinking ...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

stuckinarut2 - "...they don't see the irony that they are looking forward to these very same people along with billions more being killed."

You need intelligence to grasp irony. :smirk:

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I often suspect that staunch JW lifers get disaster-related End-Times excitement because, deep down, they hope Armageddon will come soon and free them...

...from the Watchtower Society itself.

Know why?

'Cause looking back (and being honest with myself), that was me.

Fortunately, it was a short-lived line of thought, as I quickly realized that if the WTS was indeed in charge after Armageddon, we'd never be free.

• Wayward
    Wayward

What's ironic to me is that my mom is a fairly compassionate soul. It hurts her to see people suffering from natural disasters and war, terrorism and accidents. But she doesn't seem to grasp what she's really praying for when she prays for her Paradise. She's praying for something a billion times worse than 9/11 or Katrina. She's praying for billions of people to die including: her own mother and brother; her only niece; one of her daughters; that daughter's husband and stepson; numerous friends and neighbors.

• new boy
    new boy

Thank you all for your wonder comments and insights.

To "flyinghighnow" After my DA letter, my JW life was over....including my 27 years marriage.

I was in that thought system for over 50 years. "Where there is life their is hope." So please don't give up on the people you know. Hopefully they too can get rid of the insanity that has consumed their lives.

They are in my thoughts and prayers.....

• contramundum
    contramundum

Even as a child it never made sense to me that anyone dying before Armageddon would get a resurrection, whereas if God's judgement came just one day later there would be no hope for those that died.

To my innocent , childish mind that meant survival was purely a matter of chance. It hardly seemed fair.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Sometimes, I think apocalyptic fundamentalism appeals to certain individuals because they're the type who - deep down - wish everyone "not like them" really would just f**k off and die.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I certainly was NOT one of the people who ran back to the Jehovah's Witness religion when 9/11 happened!

• jeanniebeanzz
    jeanniebeanzz

I was standing in the home of an elder along with a group of us who had taken a break from 'service' when the television in the livingroom began broadcasting live the tragedy at Waco when our government in their wisdom decided to attack their religious group at their compound. This 'elder' and the others stood around the set laughing and giggling about how 'jah uses ceasar to kill an enemy'. I was in shock and simply said, "We are watching women and little children burned alive. How are you laughing? This makes me ill... and angry."

Every person in that room went dead silent and stared at me, then the set, then Phil gets up, turns off the set, and everyone silently goes back to their car group. That was one of the last times I engaged in 'field service' or whatever they call it these days.

@Wayward - It will always amazes me how religion can make people separate themselves into two people; the kind hearted loving family members, and the evil insane people who just want to see the world burn in the name of their god.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I know people who went back to JWs after September 11th.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit