My Brother Called Me Yesterday...

by pale.emperor 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

My brother isn't a Witness but he was raised one like we all were. After 15 years living his own life he decided about a year ago to have a bible study. This being the case, as a non baptized witness he CAN still speak to me but he's getting a lot of pressure not to from elders and the rest of my family. He used to call me everyday but since i was disfellowshipped he only calls about once every month. Here is part of the conversation took place which i thought was interesting:

Me: Im glad you called, i haven't heard from you in ages.

Him: Yeah, to be honest mum is telling me to be careful talking to you. The elders have spoke to me saying keeping in contact with you will hinder my progress.

Me: You still smoke?

Him: Yeah.

Me: Isnt that against their religion too?

Him: Yeah haha

Me: Ok. Well. As i've said before, i dont talk about religion. So you've no reason to fear speaking to me.

Him: I know. It's weird you know, because they say you'll try and drag me away from the truth but each time we speak you've never mentioned this religion to me.

Me: I know. And i wont.

Him: To be honest, im not as enthusiastic about the religion as i was when i started studying. I've been speaking to <uber dub brother in law> and he says we should just wait on Jehovah because we're so close to the end now. I wish i went to the convention now. They said there were these videos about the time of the end.

Me: Oh yeah i've seen them.

Him: Really? Where?

Me: They're on YouTube.

Him: Really? I'll look for them later. What do you type in to search?

Me: It's called The Bunker Video

Him: Oh great i'll check it out later.

LATER ON HE CALLS AGAIN

Him: I seen the video on YouTube

Me: What did you think?

Him: It was good, they must know we're close to the end now.

Me: ...

Him: My study co-ordinator and <uber dub brother in law> and another elder said i shouldn't have watched it though.

Me: Why?

Him: They said apostates could change it. Like cut parts out or re-edit it.

Me: It might be on JW.org have a look there

Him: I looked, they didn't have it.

Me: Oh. Well you've seen it now. You're not a witness so you've done nothing wrong.

Him: I know... it's just... they kinda made me feel bad about it.

Me: They made you feel bad?

Him: Yeah, i dunno. It's silly. I know i can do what i want but maybe i shouldn't have watched it.

Me: But they're ok with you smoking and still mixing with your worldly friends?

Him: Yeah... well, no. They're not ok with it. But speaking to you and watching JW videos YouTube gets me into trouble.

Me: Well it's up to you. Im not gonna make you talk to me but im glad when you do.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"But they're ok with you smoking and still mixing with your worldly friends?"

Loved it! You nailed him! JW's always remind me of they saying..."gulping down the camel and straining out the knat." Why didn't the Elders show him the REAL video? Are they not proud of their work? ha ha

"im not as enthusiastic about the religion as i was when i started studying." Why didn't he attend the convention?

I don't think YOU will have to do a thing. This statement above says a lot. Leave it at that and see what happens.

You did GREAT!

• DJS
    DJS

PE,

Out of curiosity what are the specifics on your brother? I ask because I can't imaging anyone who has made a success out of their life for the past 15 years away from this dreaded cult ever considering going back to it.

My guess is that he has little to no college, is lower middle class and struggling financially, has difficulties in maintaining quality relationships and finds it challenging to discipline and control himself in what he eats, drinks, ingests, how he spends his money . . .

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Out of curiosity what are the specifics on your brother? I ask because I can't imaging anyone who has made a success out of their life for the past 15 years away from this dreaded cult ever considering going back to it.

My guess is that he has little to no college, is lower middle class and struggling financially, has difficulties in maintaining quality relationships and finds it challenging to discipline and control himself in what he eats, drinks, ingests, how he spends his money . . .

Wow DJS do you know him?!! At 18 years of age because he didnt have to go to the meetings anymore he didnt. He went out clubbing, drinking to excess, smoking, dabbled with drugs etc etc then the drugs screwed him up and he ended up with mental health issues. If he doesnt take his meds he claims he can "hear what people are thinking" or "has met many people from history in another realm" - yes he's messed up .But when he takes his meds he's fine.

All the time he made the occasional visit to the hall but never committed to it. Now that he's in his mid-late 30s he's looking for direction and purpose. He's very much into sci-fi and loves the idea of alternate realities and other dimensions and time travel etc. So this new crap about the end of the world and living in a bunker is music to his ears.

I dont think he'll take the plunge and get baptized. He'd last 2 weeks tops before he lights up another ciggarette, get DF'ed and he'd lose his entire support system (his family except me) and would most likely kill himself.

Sad, but true.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh dear.... He sounds like the perfect person the society targets.

PE, just be that kind, good , supportive brother he needs. Hopefully he won't get guilted back into the org.

The society is playing on his guilt, insecurities and life baggage....as one who is "sighing and groaning over the state of the world"

• never a jw
    never a jw

If only mom and dad had emphasized more secular education and less cult education, your brother would have been fine today. Oh well, wishful thinking.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

The FOG (fear, obligation, guilt) is just dripping from his responses. Very sad.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

<uber dub brother in law> and he says we should just wait on Jehovah because we're so close to the end now.

I laugh ever time someone says that since the WTS has been saying this since the late 1800's. If people actually believe that, they deserve to be in religious publishing cult.

Too Stupid

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Oh dear.... He sounds like the perfect person the society targets.

If only mom and dad had emphasized more secular education and less cult education, your brother would have been fine today. Oh well, wishful thinking.

The FOG (fear, obligation, guilt) is just dripping from his responses. Very sad.

Tell me about it. I have to keep reminding him that he's doing nothing wrong. I'm cautious not to mention religion but sometimes im just dying to. Like "is that what the bible says or what the Watchtower magazines say?" or "so, according to the bible, Jehovah wants you to stop talking to me?"

But if i do mention religion it'll just solidify any accusations being spoken about me behind my back. Im obviously the talk of my old congregation because i went for a drink with an old work friend (we had two pints each). Only, my mother and sisters heard that i was "getting drunk with worldly ones". There's a difference. But i didn't go there. (Isn't gossiping, malicious rumors and back-biting what we're supposed to be doing?)

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

I hate it when all the JW's say that anything that's not on JW.org is possibly from apostates. And this thinking is from the top down. It all stems from the WT inducing this folly of a logic to the rank and file. I had an elder tell me he may or may not believe even a positive new report on the witnesses! Yuck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit