How do you feel about the expression "The Truth"?

by stuckinarut2 40 Replies latest jw friends

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It's amazing how the expression "the Truth" has become such an ingrained term used by witnesses.

"we have 'The Truth'"

or

"is he 'in the Truth'?"

Most here have found out so many facts about the organisation, and felt the effects of being "gut-punched" as we realised these facts.

So how do you feel about the expression "the truth" now?

• stillin
    stillin
    Seems like an awfully smug way to describe a religion that has had so many mistaken ideas and flip-flops.
  • tiki
    tiki

Truthfully the expression does not depict that particular belief system..... And true religion is an oxymoron.

They can call it whatever they want....it is meaningless.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Cults have their own secret language. That's how you can distiguish who is up to date in a cult.

All those catch phrases make me cringe.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Not just the expression, the concept is the problem.
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I used the term, The Truth, to refer to someone who was in the religion JW.

Now that Truth I think of in terms of the truth of the good news about Christ and my opinion of the good news is now different from when I was a Witness.

• Half banana
    Half banana

It really is an easy mistake to make when leaving the org, to refer to it as "the Truth". If it was true, wouldn't we still be there?

Ordinary people don’t talk about Truth and Brotherly Love and Holiness and God and Jesus, at least not in my post JW experience. The irony is that JWs embody the very opposite of the terms they promote! Where is there any truth in what the Watchtower has ever promised? What has the Bible or Jesus ever said which is “Truth” i.e. some incontrovertible fact which you could not have worked out for yourself.

Indeed what the cults and religious religious communities do is use words with a special meaning attached to them. By doing this they are attempting to stitch together an invisible 'verbal' fabric which binds them into an exclusive community. Language both unites and excludes.

Cultists need to endlessly repeat the magic words for fellow believers to believe in these things. It becomes the cultural habit which is easily copied within the group, in fact to talk the talk by deploying the special words; is a badge of membership.

I think people who have their feet on the ground, for the sake of their mental well-being, should enjoy their fiction in the arts, not in religion.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Honestly the term makes me want to barf. After finding out "The Truth" is nothing but lies, I really can't stand hearing that term.

The name Jehovah too makes me want to hit something.

I really hate the Org.

• Heaven
    Heaven
    I'm with Darkknight... the term gags me.
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i remember--about 20 years ago--discovering that a friend ( female ) was a faded JW---

i referred to her as being " out of the truth" with others in on the conversation. they thought it was hilarious !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit