How would you respond?

by Iamallcool 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

If you tell a JW that he or she is in a cult and they asked you why do you say that? How would you respond?

• TD
    TD

"Cult" has become a pejorative that people apply to religions that they simply don't like, but if you can get past that connotation, Jehovah's Witnesses share a lot of traits with other high control groups.

1. It is very easy to join a cult, but surprisingly difficult to get out of one with your dignity intact. Cults do not recognize a legitimate reason for leaving. People who leave for reasons of conscience are labeled as "evil" and "mentally diseased."

2. Cults attempt to isolate you. A person joining a cult will be encouraged to break off all past associations. Friendships a person may have had their entire life are expected to wither away and die. After a few months, friends become very concerned about the individual who has joined a cult, because they don't even seem to be the same person anymore.

3. Cults attempt to control every aspect of your life, from medical care to leisure time, to education, to acceptable sexual practices. Sometimes there are sanctions, both written and unwritten for noncompliance

4. Cults attempt to control your access to information. They minimize or discourage access to outside sources in favor of their own internally generated literature.

5. Cults invent their own jargon. Their speech is littered with esoteric expressions and buzzwords that have special meaning to other members of the cult.

6. Cults rely heavily on fear. Fear of the outside world. Fear of invisible spirits. Fear of leaving. Fear of being branded and shunned by the group.

Jehovah's Witnesses exhibit all these traits. In spades.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Well said TD

• Simon
    Simon

I don't think telling someone they are in a cult is helpful - what do you imagine it's going to achieve? They have to realize it for themselves.

The best way to do that is to describe the thought processes and practices of other, similar, high-control groups and let them connect the dots to draw their own parallels.

Remember, it's easier to fool someone than to convince someone they have been fooled.

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

How would I respond? I wouldn't. I wouldn't start that waste of time conversation in the first place. I have much better ways to spend my time.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Basically what TD said.

If you Google it there are quite a few good basic definitions of a cult and what to look out for.

When you look at each of the primary markers for cults and compare them with Watchtower's behaviour, you pretty soon see they line up.

Sometimes it's a good idea to define a cult then compare these behaviours with, say, Scientology. So, for example, Scientology controls what info members are allowed to access. Then when witnesses go away and think about it, over time they realise their own religion lines up with these behaviours too.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Easy - Galatians 1: 8-9

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

It's easy to get JW's to admit that the apostles did not teach a two-tier salvation: one with the new covenant and one without the new covenant. Once they admit this, simply read the above scripture.

• Overrated
    Overrated

I tried to show my super-uber Jw brother that he is in a cult by comparing it to the mormons. He still doesn't get it and thinks I'm missing out on "The Best Life Ever! " since I left Gee-hober. Talk about having your head where the sun doesn't shine.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Telling somebody they're in a cult is like telling some one they're a racist. It may be true, and you may have truck load of evidence, but all you're doing is starting a fight.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Better to ask viewpoint questions. Perhaps " what should we look for in our religious leaders?"

Then when he answers show some detail as to why the WTS are not doing that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit