Jehovah Witnesses lost in Court. Disfellowshipped Sister Reinstated by Court Order?

by pistolpete 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

I think this is a first!

Imagine the "faithful" jws who are now HAVING TO TALK TO THIS PERSON by Court order or face the consequences----legally.

Exjws are spreading the news and now some exjws who have been disfellowshipped for years are starting to research to see if this is an option in their country.

Here are the articles, you need to translate in Google

https://www.nrk.no/norge/gry-nygard-ble-ekskludert-fra-jehovas-vitner-_-vant-i-lagmannsretten-1.15570621

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/ohhmha/breaking_news_from_norway_disfellowshipped_sister/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRY42LmUprk&t=1s

• Overrated
    Overrated

Why would anyone want to be reinstated? When I was DF'D I had a party! No more BS!

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

I would love to see her take the mind numb idiots to court every time they don't talk to her. But to tell the truth I don't think a court order is going to force them to do it. When the cult member thinks its a order from god they will suffer the consequences

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Well done!

Someone, probably correctly, said Watchtower will just drag it out and appeal to the ECHR claiming it contravenes their right to religious assembly among whomever they choose etc

I think they might. But I think taking a victim to court like that just helps further publicize their cruel shunning policy AND the fact that despite that, they still claim money from Satan's governments!

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

I could be wrong, but there is precedent for secular courts getting involved if the religion didn't follow its own internal procedures. If this is another version of that, it seems like an empty victory.

Why won't she be disfellowshipped next week for something else (like suing the WT)? They wl make sure they follow internal procedure this time.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

@Overrated,

Were you disfellowshipped after having been raped? Were you DF'd in an action of victim-blaming? I would guess that while being DF'd is always an emotional burden, your situation was very different from the woman in question and your reactions can't be so easily compared.

While a lot of people want to be reinstated, and for valid reasons, I think that a person who is punished for having been victimized has every right to fight against the people who victim-shame and call it religious law/doctrine. I, personally, think the woman did a great thing. And if she doesn't want to be a JW, then it is so much better to walk away on her own terms.

The video didn't explain the court case or the case law, but it sounds like the way in which she was DF'd violates Norwegian law for religious organizations that claim a certain status. It will be interesting to see what people who know more about Norwegian law have to say about it.

• zachias
    zachias

alas, who would want to get the courts order to go back to a mob that had treated you so badly. Is this lady as we say.."A glutton for punishment".?

• Jofi_Wofo
    Jofi_Wofo

Hm... no.

No court in the developed world is going to order citizens to forcibly associate with people whom they do not wish. I'd have to read the actual legal documents to figure out what's going on, but I'm absolutely confident that that's not it.

I don't see a way for governments to stop religious shunning without committing extreme human rights violations along the way. The best they can do is strip religions that cause grave harm to their members, and ex-members, of all special protections and privileges.

I've heard the argument before that Watchtower is guilty of incitement to hatred against former members. That may be true, but hatred isn't a crime, and incitement to something that isn't a crime isn't a crime [sic].

Civil claims under tort law may be in order, but I don't think that "____ is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" holds up under the legal charge of slander, even if we all know what it REALLY means. They deliberately word things in a certain way to avoid getting bitten by it later.

• Overrated
    Overrated

Jwundubbed- How true! Some don't want to be DF'D for other reasons. Every situation is different for everyone.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

It will be interesting to see how things will pan out. Also bear in mind they lost a similar type case in Belgium. Let’s hope for watchtower sakes that the Belgium and Norwegian governments don’t start talking to each other.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit