Ten Commandments in Courthouse

by rem 50 Replies latest jw friends

• rem
    rem

Mike,

Because 'Blue Laws' are consitutional. Puting a religious monument in a federal building is un-constitutional. To not make a big deal about it only disrespects our constitution and the rights of "we the people".

To not be outraged is an outrage.

Has anything actually been accomplished?

Yes actually something has been accomplished. Justice Moore has now been suspended. This issue has exposed him for what he really is - a fundamentalist bigot. Hopefully unbiased justice is a little safer for all Americans today - no matter what their beliefs.

rem

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Has anything actually been accomplished? Why not go after "blue laws"? Just for example, in Georgia and other "Bible Belt" states sales of alcohol on Sundays are still illegal. Why not fight that law instead of a monument? Or any of the other "blue laws" for that matter.

Don't worry buddy... slowly but surly we are picking away at those "Dry" laws... they just don't get much news coverage when everyone is out partying.

Wooo Hooo! Check it out!!! My post is # 42 !!!!!!

• donkey
    donkey

The sooner religion is squashed out of existence the better.

Only a complete idiot follows something blindly.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I agree with you Rem. I've heard what the judge had to say and he's a wacko bible thumper. No arguments from me on that one at all. I know I said "a judge lost his job", but I wasn't trying to support the guy.

I'm not supporting the monument being there. However neither would I be one of the ones calling for its removal. My point is why go after the monument, a symbol, when they could go after more useful targets? Why not try to remove religious laws instead? Laws that ban the sale of alcohol on Sundays. Laws that ban sex between unmarried persons. Laws that ban certain sexual practices [between consenting adults]. What's worse, the monument or laws based on religious morals?

Mike.

• patio34
    patio34

KGB, You're joking and just pulling Rem's chain, right? You can't be serious about your posts. No one is that obtuse.

Well, anyway, I'm taking the bait and never again reading this topic, which isn't worth one bit of discussion. It's an open-and-shut case and you and your ilk are just being nonsensical about it.

So. Here goes: of course, a church is not public, it's open to the public as is a department or grocery store. It's not public property because it's privately owned and not owned by the government.

I know, you were joking and i feel foolish for even putting up an answer. Sigh.

Pat

• KGB
    KGB

I was at www.excite.com this mourning and the poll for today was (should the ten commandments stay or moved. 65% say it should stay and only 27% say it should be removed, I guess we see who the majority is.

Oh and yes sometimes when I make a derogative remark on some of these post I do it with a smile just because I know I am going to rub certain individuals a little hard. There are some here who think they know it all, and for me it's a pleasure to rub them a bit....LOLVisit Smiley Central!

• rem
    rem
    I was at www.excite.com this mourning and the poll for today was (should the ten commandments stay or moved. 65% say it should stay and only 27% say it should be removed, I guess we see who the majority is.

Actually, since it's not a scientific poll, there is really know way of knowing who the real majority is. There are several reasons why the results of this survey turned out this way... perhaps religious folks care more about answering the survey... or maybe they vote multiple times.

Even if the results are accurate, majority rule is not how the United States works. The Bill of Rights are for the protection of the minority from the majority.

There are some here who think they know it all, and for me it's a pleasure to rub them a bit....LOL

Eeeeewwweeee! Stay away from me!

rem

• rem
    rem

Mike,

I'm not supporting the monument being there. However neither would I be one of the ones calling for its removal. My point is why go after the monument, a symbol, when they could go after more useful targets? Why not try to remove religious laws instead? Laws that ban the sale of alcohol on Sundays. Laws that ban sex between unmarried persons. Laws that ban certain sexual practices [between consenting adults]. What's worse, the monument or laws based on religious morals?

I think it's because the unconstitutionality (is that a word? hehe) of a religious symbol in a public courthouse is so blatant that it would be an affront to American values to allow it to stay without argument. It is a symbol, for sure, but a strong one. It's the type of symbol that makes 'blue laws' seem reasonable and good. By removing the symbol, you help remove the attitude that it is American to make laws based on religious beliefs.

'Blue laws', on the other hand, are not necessarily unconstitutional. Remember, the judgement against the sodomy law in Texas was not because the law was religious in nature, but because it was an invasion of privacy. The people can come up with any laws they would like in their community - as long as they are constitutional. There is nothing in the Constitution to ban laws based on the moral compass of the people (which is many times based on their religious values). There is no clear violation of church/state separation here. It is a bad idea, to be sure... but it's not illegal.

rem

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

(don't get the idea I'm trying to hijack this thread with my Sunday laws, that's just the biggest thing that comes to mind.)

Well Rem, I see your point but I have to disagree. You know as well as I do that "Sunday" laws are religious in nature. Just try to get any of them changed and see who protests. You won't hear Jews, Muslims, or atheists whining.

As far as I'm concerned, the Sunday laws ARE unconstitutional. Requiring businesses to close on Sunday or prohibiting the sale of alcohol on Sunday is nothing BUT a religious law. Members of the community are free to not buy or consume alcohol on Sunday or any other day of the week and they are free to not do business on Sunday. However the opening of businesses and the sale of alcohol on Sundays isn't harming anyone else.

Mike.

• crownboy
    crownboy

Well, Im very late on this thread as well, but I largely agree with rem (what a shock! ).

This issue has exposed him for what he (Judge Moore) really is - a fundamentalist bigot. Hopefully unbiased justice is a little safer for all Americans today - no matter what their beliefs.

Actually, Judge Moore may very well be the smartest man in Alabama. It's an open secret that Roy Moore aspires to some more conspicious public office such as governor or US Senator, and in a conservative state like Alabama, this will probably help his cause greatly. Don't forget the fact that he was elected in a landslide to his current position campainging as the "10 Commandments judge". He may not really be quite as silly as he seems, maybe he's deliberately trying to make a martyr of himself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit