Can you file lawsuit for mental distress?

by Yomama 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Yomama
    Yomama

yes or no

• Yomama
    Yomama

Civil lawsuit

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

You can sue anybody for anything. It is expensive and the real question is, can you win?

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Ask yourself. Would a reputable attorney take your case? Answer:😂😂😂

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

The Watchtower would be broke if this was easy.

• Biahi
    Biahi

If there’s ever a class action involving this issue, I want in!

• SadElder
    SadElder

I can't imagine prevailing in such a suit in the US. The courts are reluctant to enter "church" business. Did you willfully become a member, associate, publisher or whatever the name of the month is the dubs now use? Then I would expect the courts to tell you in so many words "too bad you did it to yourself".

• Listener
    Listener

This type of legal action is generally known as 'intentional infliction of emotional distress'.

Note that it must be intentional. A JW may have a case if they tell the Elders before a JC is held that by having one it would cause a breakdown or worse due to the prospect of losing family and friends. Then if the df went ahead and the now ex JW did have a breakdown then there may be cause.

There would be a time limit for when these cases could be filed.

• Simon
    Simon

Very doubtful, because the cases where people have been successfully prosecuted for having "control" over someone had way, WAY more control than the WTS ever has.

The WTS preach a belief system. People buy into it. Your family, if they buy into it, are the ones who do all the shunning and the ones you should sue. But even that wouldn't likely be successful as courts are unlikely to want to impose themselves into family and religious freedoms.

You normally need some "crime" to have occurred to sue someone, some violation of a law or standard. What exactly do you believe they have done to you directly? I think you'll find they haven't done anything, but people you know have.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    You normally need some "crime" to have occurred to sue someone, some violation of a law or standard. What exactly do you believe they have done to you directly? I think you'll find they haven't done anything, but people you know have

Yes the horrible truth is they generally don’t disfellowship people for talking to disfellowshipped family, especially if you’re fairly discreet about it. It’s much more subtle and nefarious than that.

For sure they’ve got more hardline about it recently, portraying good JWs in video and print as shunning family. But in most cases, the worse that would happen is removal of the dubious privilege of being an elder, servant or possibly pioneer. All depending on their local need for servants etc and the popularity of the JW who continues a relationship with DF family.

If push came to shove and they were at risk of loosing lots of lawsuits, I’m sure they could dig up plenty of dubs who continue to see their DF kids etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit