Can you file lawsuit for mental distress?

by Yomama 15 Replies latest jw friends

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

If my wife were to divorce me and cause me “mental distress”, can I sue? I mean, she obviously “intentionally” filed for divorce.

• LV101
    LV101

NO, because you willfully signed up or wanted to join or didn't want to but did. Or your parents coerced you - you can still run (once possible) or leave if you want. Courts don't care if papa/mama get upset and never speak to you again or if your wife/husband leaves you.

• TD
    TD

Emotional distress is more than being upset.

A drunk driver who runs your child over right in front of your eyes is liable criminally for his/her actions, but they are also liable for the emotional distress they have caused. This is real, quantifiable damage that can be measured by medical professionals.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Can you file lawsuit for mental distress? - if you're thinking about a lawsuit against the WTS, no, I don't think so.

People choose to join the WTS or not.

Born-ins have a choice - a difficult choice - stay in or leave. <----- not nice, but that's life

• Yomama
    Yomama

Pain and suffering

• TD
    TD

Pain and suffering as diagnosed by a mental health professional or simply claimed by the individual?

Is the source of the pain and suffering a traumatic event as in abuse or is it just a feeling that grew over time?

If you have something tangible, you might want to talk to an attorney.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit