Elder's remark about contributions not being made

by Simon Templar 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Tahoe
    Tahoe

Lol! Outlaw, you caused me to spit out coke!! :D

Heaven, if I was with the 'in' crowd I most certainly would sneek those!! Ha!!

Thanks Simon T!! Needed that 😂

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Most contributions come from a few within the congregation. These ones usually set aside a certain amount every month and write a single check. I would not expect they would see a steady flow at each meeting.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I agree with NewYork44M. Normally a few contribute and the rest have the right attitude, I mean, don't contribute.

• skin
    skin

Dont you just love the way WT go on about how wonderful they are because "no collections are ever taken at our meetings". But when our congregation don't meet the monthly amount that was pledged, we had read out to us from the platform a very rude letter from the branch explaining that we need to as a congregation keep up with our monthly pledge that we had made. Make sure that our yes means yes and so on... No sign of the branch being loving towards us as brothers and forgiving us for the shortfall of money, oh NO, Just, we want your money and we want it now!.

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

Its so true, the WTS makes themselves out to be sooo different, by not sending out a collection plate, but if your numbers are down as a congregation, you better believe you WILL hear from the boys in NY.

Another thing that I always found suspect, even as a child, was how at EVERY assembly, they NEVER had enough money when they gave the financial announcement. It was always, " brothers we are in a deficit, and we need this much thousands to break even". Well I smell BS, cause it couldn't possibly be the same thing EVERY time.

It was there way of guilting everyone to drop in more money. Scumbags.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Reckon how rude they'll get, the less money comes in?

And maybe some people in the cong didn't pledge anything, LOL

• Pants of Righteousness
    Pants of Righteousness

Back in the day when I was the Accounts guy, out of a congregation of around 100 publishers I'd say around three-quarters of all regular donations came from 1 elder and 2 aspiring single MS's.

So it wasn't unusual for 'the takings' to be very low after some meetings.

• zeb
    zeb

so the secretary didn't contribute nor did the elders.. hmm.

It might have also been off-pension week.

Perhaps also something cleaned everyone else out like kids all starting for another year at school. but this is certain the r&f are showing different priorities than before.

• startingover
    startingover

It's been at lest 25 years since I was the accounts servant, but the posts above describe the situation I experienced. There were maybe 2 or 3 retired guys who worked, in my case, for an airline or a large utility who consistantly made regular contributions via check once a month. But no where near what was needed. Being self employed myself and a person who could not stand red ink, it bothered me every time I collected the money from the box and wondered how in the world we were going to pay the bills with the small bills and change I collected out of the box. We barely scraped by every month.

• Stealth
    Stealth

In the second edition of Zion's Watchtower in 1879 C.T. Russell stated:

"'Zion's Watch Tower' has, we believe, JEHOVAH for its backer, and while this is the case it will never beg nor petition men for support. When He who says: 'All the gold and silver of the mountains are mine,' fails to provide necessary funds, we will understand it to be time to suspend the publication."

This may be the only prophecy of Russell that might actually come true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit