Words for the Day; please share

by compound complex 182 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

Tee hee hee.

Sir Francis Drake and Sir Martin Frobisher were canines of the sea ...

Magna Carta

• snowbird
    snowbird

I am reading the Magna carta (Great Charter) again for the first time..

I will be sharing some of my findngs here, so stay tuned.

Landed gentry

• flipper
    flipper

" Malignant narcissism " . Just got done reading an article in Rolling Stone magazine describing Donald Trump. My god- then I got to thinking after I read the article about all the narcissists I've known in my own life ! Including my own 91 year old elder JW dad. The psychological traits these people display are scary and deeply ingrained causing much damage to themselves and others. Word for the day for what I'm researching : narcissism. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks for your contribution, Flipper.

My first husband was a narcissist.

We are still reeling from his hurtful legacy.

Bastard!

• snowbird
    snowbird

The Magna Carta mainly centered on the rights of the landed gentry and the clergy.

Liege

• compound complex
    compound complex

General definition and first entry when searching for "malignant narcissist":

Kernberg described malignant narcissism as a syndrome characterized by a narcissistic personality disorder (NPD), antisocial features, paranoid traits, and egosyntonic aggression. Other symptoms may include an absence of conscience, a psychological need for power, and a sense of importance (grandiosity).

liege:

title underlings gave lord of the land in Medieval times

Thanks, Flipper and Syl!

new word:

addendum (the definition that references a distance)

• snowbird
    snowbird

Addendum is a mechanical engineering term that describes the radial distance from something to something...

I haven't a clue as to what that means.

Scutage

• compound complex
    compound complex

scutage:

(in a feudal society) money paid by a vassal to his lord in lieu of military service.

Sounds like the JW stand for men's military service in Mexico. I'm with you, Syl, on addendum!

Liege, Belgium, with grave accent over e, rendering the pronunciation lee-ej

• snowbird
    snowbird

Fealty.

• compound complex
    compound complex

entail (n. & v.)

First heard this when spoken by Scout, in To Kill a Mockingbird. Later, in Downton Abbey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit