Evolution is a Fact #16 - Aquatic Mammals

by cofty 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Having spent at least 20 million years acquiring the machinery to survive on dry land and hundreds of millions more diversifying and exploiting every conceivable niche, a number of landlubbers made their way back to the sea.

Among these were pond snails, water spiders, water beetles, crocodiles, otters, sea snakes, water shrews, Galapagos flightless cormorants, marine iguanas, penguins and turtles. Of course the most impressive example of all are the whales and their little cousins the dolphins. These have gone all the way back to an aquatic existence as have dugongs and their close cousins the manatees jointly known as the sirenians, they don’t even come ashore to breed. They do however still breath air, having never developed anything resembling the gills of their ancestors. Seals and sea lions on the other hand have only gone part-way back and are a living example of what intermediate species must have been like.

In recent years the evidence from genetics and from the fossil record provides us with a rich record of the history of aquatic mammals.

Their genome shows that the closest living relative of whales are hippos. Molecular evidence shows that hippos are more closely related to whales than they are to cloven-hoofed animals like pigs and the ruminants. If anybody has seen hippos in deep water you cannot have failed to be impressed with how graceful these giants are. But as they have stayed at least partly on land, they still resemble their more distant cousins the ruminants, while their close cousins the whales took to the water and changed so drastically that their close affinity was only discovered by the molecular geneticists.

In recent years the evidence from genetics and from the fossil record provides us with a rich record of the history of aquatic mammals.

Their genome shows that the closest living relative of whales are hippos. Molecular evidence shows that hippos are more closely related to whales than they are to cloven-hoofed animals like pigs and the ruminants. If anybody has seen hippos in deep water you cannot have failed to be impressed with how graceful these giants are. But as they have stayed at least partly on land, they still resemble their more distant cousins the ruminants, while their close cousins the whales took to the water and changed so drastically that their close affinity was only discovered by the molecular geneticists.

While geneticists were busy in the lab the paleontologists were getting their hands dirty in the field. In Pakistan a rich seam of fossils has been discovered that sheds light on the evolution of the whale. A whole series of specimens beautifully demonstrates the gradual disappearance of the hind legs, the transformation of the front legs from walking limbs to swimming fins and the movement of the nostrils back to the top of the skull to become the blowhole.

It is one of the very best examples of a series of transitional fossils.

The following image shows the vestigial pelvis and leg bones that still exist in four species of modern whales.

Part 1 - Protein Functional Redundancy - - - - - - - Part 2 - DNA Functional Redundancy
    Part 3 - ERVsPart 4 - Smelly Genes
    Part 5 - Vitamin CPart 6 - Human Chromosome 2
    Part 7 - Human Egg Yolk GenePart 8 - Jumping Genes
    Part 9 - Less Chewing More ThinkingPart 10 - Non-Coding DNA
    Part 11 - TiktaalikPart 12 - Lenski's E.coli Experiment
    Part 13 - Morris Minor BonnetsPart 14 - Joey Goes to Oz
    Part 15 - Robinson Crusoe
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This was the idea behind a famous popular science book by Steve Jones called Almost Like A Whale that pointed out how a polar bear is similar to, and could easily evolve into something like a whale.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    Foundation stone after foundation stone, brick on brick the case is made. Great work again Crofty.
  • cofty
    cofty

I think it's hard for people to grasp how such significant changes in form can happen step-by-step.

Later on I hope to do a post or two about genetic switches and see how small mutations can have radical effects on morphology.

I think one of the problems is thinking about the genome like a blueprint. It's not a good illustration. In a blueprint one change in the plan has one corresponding change in the building.

The genome is more like a recipe. Changing quantities, temperatures or times can have big effects on the outcome.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    Great work for your whole series cofty! Keep 'em coming.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Hmmm... They could be different animals made by God from using DNA in different combinations.

DD

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Interesting OP.

the movement of the nostrils back to the top of the skull to become the blowhole - absolutely.

It's fascinating noting the position of nostrils on early, middle and late (present) forms.

The nostrils are at the front of the snout in Ambulocetus/Pakicetus; midway towards the skull in Dorudon/Basilosaurus; and modern forms have the blowhole on top.

• juandefiero
    juandefiero

The more evidence of evolution being a fact that comes to light, I predict that JW's are eventually going to broaden their current definition of "kind" like they have with the word "generation."

A whale and a hippo are overlapping "kinds." You still haven't shown one kind changing to another. Show me a stingray turning into a monkey. You can't? CHECKMATE!
  • Half banana
    Half banana
    People who say there are no transitional fossils to be seen haven't looked very hard.
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

I have always been fascinated by fossils, I could never understand the process that takes place that makes a bone, last for so long. especially when people dig up bones in their backyard, that aren't that deep, that are supposedly thousands of years old.

all things that exist on earth that are exposed to any amount of air light or water , id think, should decay.

so, we have such factual fossil records to prove these animals have changed.

we humans must be very new on the scene, since there are so few examples of humans evolving from something else.

I wont be around, but, women need to evolve to have eyes in the back of their heads,more strength , and an extra set of arms and hands.

and as for the polar bear, re-evolving to swim in the ocean, see, that's what I don't understand, things cannot now 'evolve' fast enough before they become extinct, to survive the rapid change of environment. a polar bear population will die off before they change to grow gills or have better coats, to live in water longer, since the ice is melting and their food source is changing. I doubt that people will evolve to survive the toxic planet that man has made. nor will animals. were due for a sixth mass extinction, then what?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit