This week's study article about shunning is contradictory.

by Sanchy 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

I was reading this week's study article on remaining loyal to Jah. Found an interesting contradiction on shunning. They cite two experiences. In one a JW shuns her mom and her example is posted as a positive one of someone doing the right thing. The second example however of a JW being shunned by his non-JW family is labeled as an injustice. Here's first one:

(w_E_2016 February, parragraph 7)

Forexample, a sister named Anne[1] received
    a telephone call from her disfellowshipped
    mother. The mother wanted to
    visit Anne because she felt pained by
    her isolation from the family. Anne was
    deeply distressed by the plea and promised
    to reply by letter. Before writing,
    she reviewed Bible principles. (1 Cor. 5:
    11; 2 John 9-11) Anne wrote and kindly
    reminded her mother that she had
    cut herself off from the family by her

wrongdoing and unrepentant attitude.
    “The only way you can relieve your pain
    is by returning to Jehovah,”Anne wrote.

So, the example above demonstrates the supposed loyal faith of a daughter that refused to talk to the woman that gave birth to her, raised her and surely sacrificed so much for her. This, the Watchtower claims, is an example of love and loyalty. Now let's see the second example cited in the same article in a latter paragraph:

(w_E_2016 February, parragraph 17)

In Japan, for example, Taro had
    from childhood centered his life on being
    loyal and obedient to his parents. He
    did not do so merely out of obligation.
    He really wanted to make his parents
    happy. So when they opposed his association
    with Jehovah’s Witnesses, he
    found it especially painful to tell them
    that he had decided to attend Christian
    meetings. Says Taro: “They were so angry
    that for years, I was forbidden to visit
    them at home. I prayed for courage to
    stick to my decision. Now their attitude
    has softened, and I can visit them regularly.”

In this example, the non-JW family members were cruel, because they "opposed his association" and "forbid him to visit them for years". Yet, isn't this exactly what the JW daughter from the first experience was doing to her mother? only in reverse?

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

That lady "Anne" sounds like a grade A bitch. Seriously? Your own mother, the woman who birthed you and took care of you and sacrificed everything for your care, is treated like an unwanted rat. So disgusting it's unreal.

(This illustration probably didn't happen anyways. But now some dubs might get the mind to do this with their own "out" relatives.)

• sir82
    sir82

But JWs "have the truth" you see, so any shunning done by them is holy, pure, and 100% Jehovah-approved.

Meanwhile, any shunning done towards them is evil, malicious, and Satanic.

JWs who shun others are proving themselves worthy of eternal life, while those who shun JWs are proving themselves worthy of a giant flaming hailstone hurled directly at their heads at Armageddon.

Hope that clear things up for you.

• millie210
    millie210

Even by their own weird reckoning they only used 2 scriptures to back up "Annes" decision. A decision she had to REread to get ready to do something that is against the natural way of things.

Disfellowshipping is so unnatural and they have to constantly remind people of it.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped
    My hope is that as time goes by they get more and more extreme and dig in harder on such contradictions so that more people wake up. Something like the contradictions in the same freaking article is almost rubbing it in the faces of those attending, practically calling them out as unthinking drones.
  • wheelwithinwheel
  • cofty
    cofty
    Anne wrote and kindly reminded her mother that she had cut herself off from the family by her wrongdoing and unrepentant attitude.

Imagine an abusive husband who threatened his wife that if she leaves him he will hunt her down and kill her. Eventually she finds the courage to leave and he carries out his threat. In court his lawyer argues that the wife knew the consequences of leaving and so it was not his client's fault but the victim's.

This is the twisted ethics of the cult mind.

Don't play along...

• azor
    azor
    I was thinking of sending a picture to my family of my bald 6 year old son when he was going through intensive chemo treatment for leukemia. The title would be "SHUNNED"
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped
    JWs are always the victim. The victim of persecution from family and the victims of the shunned people who robbed them of association by choosing to live a life that necessitates their shunning. It's like punching someone and then accusing them of running into your hand with their face.
  • pixel
    pixel

Anne wrote and kindly reminded her mother that she had cut herself off from the family by her wrongdoing and unrepentant attitude.

Can you say "Blackmail"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit