Where do I start telling a psychologist about the mental trauma I feel as a fading jw?

by Simple Minds 23 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Simple Minds
    Simple Minds

Kate xx yes, put up the link to your JC recording, it would be interesting to listen to

What was it that started you doubting?

i was in a small town country congregation and had meeting parts every week and had to give talks to neighboring congregations each month, i got bored using the JW library for researcher so i used to look up non jw bible commentary's for new ideas, the more i researched the more i realize how little bible knowledge the jw actually had. the funny thing is everyone used to tell me how refreshing my talks where,then i started lurking on sites like this and jw facts,then the ARC was the last straw.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt
    Just know that so many of us have been there or are still right there in your same shoes.
  • pandorasbox1914
    pandorasbox1914

Hi Simple Minds,

Like you I recently joined this forum after 25 years in the truth, but unlike you I haven't suffered mentally from this cult as you have. Therefore, I cannot fully understand your pain, but I do sympathize with you. All I can say is what everyone else has already suggested, just be yourself and be honest.

Any psychologist who knows what they are doing will be able to help you and ease your pain. If it helps a friend of mine had some counselling a while back it would seem that most psychologist's are fully aware of this cult and it's harmful practices.

Take care my friend and be well.

• Watchtower-Free
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's important that you tell them that you were in a cult. Most psychologists don't know much about cults, and fewer know that the JWs are a cult. I recommend reading Combating Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan, as he gives a few tips on what to tell mental health professionals about your cult experience.

• Acts5v29
    Acts5v29

Hi SImpleMinds,

I feel for you, deeply. If your psychiatrist is any good at-all he will understand the horror you have felt, and the long-term trauma. They don't give much out in the way of expression though - more guidance of the debilitation - but the hand-holding of others who are in the same position will be very, very cathartic, and that will really strengthen you. Horror loses its power when we meet more and more who see through its veneer of innocence.

X X X

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

Hi Simple Minds

Great advice here, I'm not an expert on this but if I were going to see a therapist I would maybe write some things down so my emotions don't get the better of me. I would defiantly express myself honestly about my involvement in this cult and it's hold on my emotions and on my cognitive decision making at the present. Hopefully everything works out well for you, stay strong. Our thoughts are with you.

MC

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

The link for WTFree's post is:

http://www.exitingthejwcult.com/p/if-you-are-going-to-see-mental-health.html

As he mentioned, Bonnie's book is a must-read for ex-Dubs and their therapists.

(Bonnie's bio - https://www.blogger.com/profile/00282469017360136275 )

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    These are your own words, feel free to write them out and start by saying something just like you did here:

after being a jw for 25 years and keeping my true thoughts and feeling all bottled up and putting on the fake kingdom smile for so long i feel that my brain will explode when i finally let it all out. i feel sorry for the poor psych
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I also recommend two things for dealing with difficult emotions, journaling and meditation. Sitting down every day to write a few pages can be very helpful. It doesn't matter what you write, just write. If you do this consistently it will help you start getting your thoughts up and out. This will make it easier when you do sit down with a therapist. Years of being a JW makes it almost automatic to bottle up your thoughts and feelings, that takes time to undo, journaling will speed up the process and make your therapy more productive.

Meditation is very helpful in dealing with negative emotions, it has proven health benefits and has been life changing for me. It costs nothing and only takes a few minutes a day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit