Why designated hotels?

by punkofnice 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore
    From my experience it was NEVER cheaper to book through the Org, so I never did. It's definitely a scam for free rooms as others have mentioned
  • Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    On this same note, I feel the org is also getting kickbacks from "recommending" Apple products to the congregations, and making them more of a necessity. The Apple watch seen on the wrist of a GB member in a video goes to confirm this thought.

Nope. Apple doesn't do this. They gave a handful of watches to AAA celebs and that's it. They do not do paid product placement in movies and TV shows either.

The place I work for spends over $1,000,000 a year on Apple products and we don't get shit.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I am going off what I know about Apple/MacIntosh activities from the 80's when the company would basically give away the hardware to the schools knowing the software is proprietary and very expensive. It was a system that worked a long time for that company. The company does make deals. Of course it is when the deal benefits them. Not the other way around. So if the WTBTS promotes Apple, the corporate WT may indeed be getting something from Apple in return for that, but in the longer run it is off the backs of the multitude of R & F people purchasing Apple products at full Apple price, which benefits the Apple company bottom line.

Once the Apple product is in place, it is very very hard to switch operating systems, replace all the software and integrate the data, and Apple counts on that.For the Apple product, it is a shot term gain for the WTBTS then no more. In that way it is different to the hotel bookings perpetually making a profit for corporate.

The same line of thought as the Hotel. Give a little to the corporate when it guarantees them massive amounts of room bookings at a good price. Corporate does not pass on these savings when the members book the hotel rooms, as others here state, and pocket the difference....similar to Chicago Mob style.

• Simon
    Simon

The hotels give reduced rates or other offers for large block bookings.

Instead of passing these savings on to the attendees as most "worldly" conferences do to boost attendance, the WTS makes it's members pay the normal rates and keeps all the benefits for itself.

It's a sweet deal ... for them.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

DOC: WT uses these comp rooms for COs/DOs and Bethel guests.

And yet, Jesus said, “Foxes have dens and birds of heaven have nests, but the Son of man has nowhere to lay down his head.” - Matthew 8:20

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 4/12 p. 6 Our District Conventions—Powerful Testimony to the Truth ***

(7) Do not abuse any complimentary breakfast, coffee, or ice provisions that are made available for guests to consume while they are at the hotel

AND EVERY YEAR BEFORE THAT UNTIL 1997

*** km 5/97 p. 4 par. 14 1997 “Faith in God’s Word” District Convention ***

If a hotel provides a complimentary breakfast during your stay, you should not see this as an opportunity to stock up for the noon meal. Hotels have reported that some of our brothers and sisters have come down with plastic bags and filled them with fruit, Danish pastries, and bagels to be consumed later, leaving little for the other guests. Such hotel amenities are provided as a courtesy for guests while at the hotel and must not be abused. To take more than what you will eat during your breakfast meal would really demonstrate a greedy spirit, and it is also dishonest. If an improper attitude on the part of fellow Witnesses is observed, it would be a kindness to remind them of how they should be acting.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Sticking to the Watchtower hotel list effectively boycotts non participating hotels and gives the Watchtower more leverage in bartering for reduced rates with hotels that won't participate. The only issue that foiled this scheme for Watchtower is that JWs still chose to stay at boycotted hotels because they were nicer and closer to the convention site. Thats why Watchtower became militant about policing JWs and blasting them on the congregation level for ruining their scheme. "Reduced Rates" are typically $30-60 cheaper than standard rates.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I want to reiterate a point I made above. The org rents out its complimentary rooms to JWs who didn't make reservations, etc. I"ve been involved in the process, seen the checks, etc. The org is making money on the complimentary rooms.

I think it's unethical because they make it seem as though the whole process is to help the poor local JWs get the best prices on rooms, when in reality the motive is self-serving.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Scum bags
  • talesin
    talesin

BB, I have to call you on this one - it's absolutely not true. Product placement is advertising; TV and film are media by which this type of advertising is communicated.

Nope. Apple doesn't do this. They gave a handful of watches to AAA celebs and that's it. They do not do paid product placement in movies and TV shows either.
    The place I work for spends over $1,000,000 a year on Apple products and we don't get shit.

Well, according to the Business Insider, this is just not true.

URL: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-product-placements-in-tv-and-movies-2012-8

12 Excellent Examples Of How Apple Product Placements Rule Hollywood

• Aug. 7, 2012, 8:30 PM
    apple alec baldwin iphoneFilm stillJack Donaghy does not use an Android.

Last week, Apple revealed one of its biggest marketing secrets in federal court: The company relies heavily on free product placement in television shows and movies.

And Apple has a fascinating history of product placement, which it doesn't like to talk about.

tal :sunglasses:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit