What SHOULD have woken you up ?

by Phizzy 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Back in the mid-late 1990's.

The Freddy Franz era really hammered it in to the heads of the JW's that the ''king of the North'' was none other than the Soviet Union. Then the Soviets suddenly collapsed in 1991-92.

& then

The 1995 generation change, in the Nov 1995 Watchtower. The whole understanding of the 1914 generation evaporating in one WT.

With those 2 fundamental teachings blown away with mere years of each other, well you put 2 and 2 together,... it no longer adds-up.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I always wondered - even back when I was still in - if the WT leadership was quietly panicking when the Berlin Wall came down...

• LV101
    LV101

The structure of psychopaths coming to my house with their propaganda. Finally I went to phone study, ONLY! I told a few people (clergy class) I didn't appreciate this plan - cons in my home trying to run my life when they were hypocrites and parasites.

• Half banana
    Half banana

A very good question Phizzy.

When I was young, an old lady from some creepy religious cult used to come knocking at my door. I noticed that she must have always powdered her face with her specs on. I never listened to her message, in fact I recoiled at the woman's visits.

A bit later I had unwittingly become "a study" at my JW friend's house as I liked to argue and find out about things. Then I went to the meeting and who was present; the little old cult lady.

I should have woken up there and then before I got any deeper.

As it happens the old lady was quite a sweet, well meaning but truly obsessive pioneer. A few years later she was put permanently into a home for the mentally ill.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

I identify with those who say that the penny should have dropped after the 1975 fiasco. Something about "hope springs eternal", I guess!

• JimmyYoung
    JimmyYoung

The history of the cult.But there was no internet back in the day and it was not easy to find much about the cult that the JWs did not publish. In the late 80s there was Ray Franz and his book CofC and that shook up the cult. I remember many getting nervous and trying to say Ray went crazy. But even so it was not the easiest thing to even find his book when it first came out.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Half banana - "...the old lady was quite a sweet, well meaning but truly obsessive pioneer. A few years later she was put permanently into a home for the mentally ill."

Years ago, an older lady in my congregation confided to me that she seemed to notice more and more JWs - particularly women - who were suffering from mental health problems.

At the time, I didn't think it wise to suggest that maybe the JW worldview and lifestyle might actually be the reasons, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit