• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Jofi_Wofo

A million likes for those mate!!!!!!

Top of the class.

jtg.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Definitely 1975 but I so wanted to believe it took another 18 years.And i wasn`t a born in but a convert at 20

• JeffT
    JeffT

The arrival of Jan 1, 1976

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Yep,yep,Yep, your right JeffT , now i can`t believe how stupid I was ,in my early conversion I read some of the older publications ,i think Riches and The Harp of God ,but I got sucked in by "the light gets brighter and brighter" as the day goes on or some other BS.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Probably it should have been the actuality of there being thousands of christian based faiths but only a couple including the WTS made proclamations that mankind is living in the last days and that since starting in 1914 is last living generation to live in the old system of things before Jesus's new world order was to appear.

.......and this organization has a publishing house operating at its core.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Looking back I wish I had been given a bloody good kick up the (you know what)

• polish clarinet
    polish clarinet

first alert was when they showed the video which explained you should not answer your disfellowshipped daughter, even for a phone call...

the good one was when elders told me I would have to chose between remaining in the congregation and playing "pagan music" with worldy people" in our town band. This evening, it was my last meeting and I never went back.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i dont think i was ever asleep. i had no choice as a kid. then--from mid teens i went along with it for a few years to please others. then i began to please myself. ( no--not pleasure you dirty minded lot ).

it never occurred to me whether the cult was right--or not. i just wasnt interested.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Being a born-in it was very difficult to accept anything but the borgs teachings. 1976 should have woke me up, the talk in the mid 80's to debunk Ray's actions, when they started pushing hard the so called faithful slave as the only way to salvation and finally the generation teaching. None of those woke me up it was instead the 2 weeks spent at Bethel working on building that were empty. Go figure! It was the beginning of the end for me to escape the borg. Still Totally ADD

• Giordano
    Giordano

At the age of 16...... I was given a book called the True Believer by Eric Hoffer. After reading that I knew that being a JW was a sham because of the Society.

The people in the congregation were pretty good to me.......... of course this was in the late 50's and 60's. When the JW life style was more relaxed. A lot of parties and assembles where you could flirt with a pretty sister.

I by-passed Bethel and went off to pioneer where the need was great. I disdained the Society and my focus was on the Friends in our congregation. I did a damn good job of it. Ministry school servant , assn't presiding minister and all around go to guy.

I was awake to the mistakes of the WTBTS but back in the day this was only a feeling that they were getting stuff wrong. I had no other sources to consult and maybe I didn't want to know we were idiots believing in their garbage.

My bride was a casual JW........ She was 17 and I was 19 when we married. We courted for two years. We are still married some 57 years later. A very happy and productive marriage.

Since she never really believed.... she concentrated on our marriage....... while I was left to struggle with the porous beliefs that were promoted by the WTBTS. I finally gave up on this religion.

I realized it was a fool's errand as soon as I understood that this religion offered nothing.

What finished it for me was Armageddon....were we really taught that billions would die so we could build a paradise earth over their bones?

The Ban on Blood....in those days no serious surgery could be preformed without a supply of blood. JW family members..... ours..... were dying because they couldn't get the medical treatment they needed. It was an individuals choice.....but it wasn't sitting well for us.

The discouragement of higher education was a drawback. After we left we realized we needed to grow up and learn how to live in the real world.

We moved from the congregation we had been serving in..... for the past three years..... and never heard a word from anyone ever again. When you were out....you were out. Family that were in........ wanted little contact.

We grew up quickly and made our way forward. By our mid 20's we were both accomplished professionals making a good living.

We have lived our lives beyond anyone else's standards.We are both Humanists and have worked as unpaid community volunteers for the last 30 years.

We live in a city of 7,000 and have close to 200 friends. We actually counted them one morning and were surprised we had so many fine relationships. We even have a couple of JW friends who want out.

Always happy to lend a helping hand.

The Mormon's now dominate in our city......the JW's are never heard from.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit