Common Figure of Speech/Colloquialism?

by rstrats 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rstrats
    rstrats

myelaine,
    re: "You're right. That's why I said may not have occured."

I'm not looking for examples that "may not have occurred". I'm looking for examples that actually did occur.

re: However, it was a colloquialism of the time and the full day or night not occuring criteria has been met.

That's an issue for a different topic.

re: "I suppose you can't have it all if mine might be the best example given..."

But you didn't provide an actual example.

• rstrats
    rstrats

Someone new looking in may know of examples.

• rstrats
    rstrats

Apparently no one new looking in thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week.

• rstrats
    rstrats

Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.

• rstrats
    rstrats

Someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

The page here lists an example from Esther 4:16 & 5:1. In this example Mordecai (in 4:16) is to persuade the Jews to fast for "three days, night and day" before Esther goes in to see the Persian king. Then. in 5:1, Esther gets dressed in her royal robes and goes into the king on "the third day."

Here is another page discussing this problem. It also uses the example of Esther/Mordecai.

And here is another commentary on Matthew (D. A. Carson) that discusses this same topic. This reference cites these passages as examples: 1Sa 30:12-13; 2Ch 10:5, 12; Est 4:16; 5:1

Here is the Google search I used which has numerous other hits on this topic.

(I am cataloging these references for a post on another site.)

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

For the sake of completeness, Gen 42:17-18 was another example of how "three days" and "the third day" were seen as the same thing. It involves Joseph's brothers being imprisoned for "three days" and on "the third day" Joseph lets them free (save for one). Of course, this example lacks any references to "nights."

I found this example cited in Barne's Notes at the BibleHub web site.

• rstrats
    rstrats

Bobcat,
    re: "The page here lists an example from Esther 4:16 & 5:1."

• rstrats
    rstrats

Bobcat,
    re: "The page here lists an example from Esther 4:16 & 5:1."

The Esther account is not an example where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred. Nothing in the account shows where at least a portion of 3 daytimes and at least a portion of 3 night times couldn't have taken place.

• rstrats
    rstrats

Perhaps someone new visiting this topic may know of examples.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit