Common Figure of Speech/Colloquialism?

by rstrats 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rstrats
    rstrats

myelaine ,

Thanks for the comments but I'm afraid they don't provide any examples which show where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred.

• myelaine
    myelaine

rstrats...

You said this a month ago to David Jay, "But was it common for Semitic dialogue to say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could occur?"

My comment is a reply to clarify to you that the days and nights did occur. The reasoning behind the accepted missing night revolves around the biblical text that says the body could not be removed on the sabbath. (John 19:31) If you incorrectly assume that the sabbath being spoken of is the weekly sabbath (friday evening to saturday evening) then friday night + saturday night is only 2 nights.

If the sabbath that begins the evening after passover is used for counting there is no missing night. It's as simple as counting back 3 nights from sunday morning and arriving at a sabbath. The first day (evening to evening) of the feast of unleavened bread is a sabbath.

My point is, contrary to your statement to David Jay, the saying doesn't HAVE to be a colloquialism/common expression...without basis in reality. 3 nights in the heart of the earth can be understood as 3 nights in the tomb based on reckoning the jewish calendar of events preceding the resurrection. By doing this the 3 nights "fit" between a sabbath and sunday morning.

Note: the day of preparation spoken of in john 19:31 would be the day that all traces of leaven are removed from the home in preparation for the 7 day feast of unleavened bread. The evening of that day starts the sabbath.

michelle

• rstrats
    rstrats

myelaine,
    re: " My comment is a reply to clarify to you that the days and nights did occur."

That's an issue for a different topic. This one is concerned with one issue and only one issue, i.e., examples where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Ok.

"That's an issue for a different topic. This one is concerned with one issue and only one issue, i.e., examples where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred."

Why did you use the example you did (3 days & nights in the heart of the earth) if it's not an actual example of the topic you'd like to discuss? Or to put it another way...why have you used a demonstrably incorrect example for the topic you'd like to discuss.

• myelaine
    myelaine

One example where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time may not have occurred is when someone or a party were setting out on a journey.

The journey may have been forecast as 2 days journey. A 2 days journey would be understood as 40-50 miles, not 24 hours duration.

• rstrats
    rstrats

A long time ago, whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 was brought up in a "discussion" with 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection believing folks, some of them tried to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common Jewish figure of speech/colloquial language. Since I wasn't aware of any examples that showed that is was common to say that a daytime or a night time was involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur I started asking around for actual examples of such usage. So far none have been provided. That's the only thing this particular topic is concerned with.

• myelaine
    myelaine

Fair enough.

I provided an example in my previous post. 🙂

• rstrats
    rstrats

myelaine,
    re: "One example where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time may not have occurred is when someone or a party were setting out on a journey."

You didn't include the example of an actual event where that had to have been the case.

• myelaine
    myelaine

You're right. That's why I said may not have occured.

However, it was a colloquialism of the time and the full day or night not occuring criteria has been met.

I suppose you can't have it all if mine might be the best example given, including your own 😉

• rstrats
    rstrats

I'm not looking for examples that "may not have occurred". I'm looking for examples that actually did occur.

re: "However, it was a colloquialism of the time and the full day or night not occurring criteria has been met."

That's an issue for a different topic.

But you didn't provide an actual example.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit