In theory, can one be disfellowshipped for attempted suicide?

by Saename 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

I was recently informed that a brother has been disfellowshipped for slander because he'd rightfully accused his wife (elder's daughter) of adultery.

The wolves will justify the motive between themselves, and then rip to pieces their victim.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

For what I heard way back when, yes, a person can get disfellowshipped for attempting at taking their own life. The nonsense I heard was that killing is a sin, even if it's killing yourself.

Nothing was told about helping a person in crisis.

• SunnyOne026
    SunnyOne026

A young sister who suffered from severe depression and whom I was very close to had to face a judicial committee because she attempted suicide. She was reproved but not df'd. I was shocked that they had reproved a severely depressed young person. I did my best to comfort her. Later on, when my then husband became an elder I was aware of other suicide attempts because of sisters confiding in me. Knowing my husband was on one of the committees investigating one of these attempts I strongly encouraged him to be gentle and leniant with the person in question. She was a single mom with young children and I didn't want the elders to precipitate another attempt. To my knowledge my advice was heeded.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    sunny1 - I was shocked that they had reproved a severely depressed young person.

It's terrible that they let power abusing lavatory attendants and milkmen with to have such power. If we ever needed proof that religion is a force for harm..................

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I was shocked that they had reproved a severely depressed young person

You shouldn't since the JWS elders from the top GB are not educated upon human psychology.

They read the bible or the WTS literature written by men who were also not educated upon human psychology for their knowledge base.

Who needs the bible after all when you have the Bible written 2000 years ago.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Yes, I am aware of someone disfellowshipped for attempted suicide.

• Saename
    Saename
    Finkelstein - Who needs the bible after all when you have the Bible written 2000 years ago.

I think what you meant to say is, "Who needs the knowledge of psychology after all when you have the Bible written 2000 years ago."

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Correct Saename haven't had my morning coffee yet

• Saename
    Saename

I don't drink coffee :>

• committeechairman
    committeechairman

There is no circumstance under which I've ever seen anyone disfellowshipped for a suicide attempt. Also, I've never seen anyone disfellowshipped posthumously for ANYTHING. A disfellowshipping after death is in direct conflict with the principle at Romans 6:7: "For the one who has died has been acquitted from his sin."

CC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit