In theory, can one be disfellowshipped for attempted suicide?

by Saename 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Saename
    Saename

So I was recently reading the reasons for disfellowshipping as listed in Shepherd the Flock of God. The handbook is available online here: https://thetruthofjehowaswittness.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/jehovas-vitner.pdf.

On page 59, point #4, it lists attempted suicide as a reason for disfellowshipping. Has it ever been removed? Have the Jehovah's Witnesses added some hand-written notes to this point? I noticed they sometimes do that as commanded by the letters from the Watchtower. So I think the most important question is this: In theory, can one still be disfellowshipped for attempted suicide?

If so, I imagine there are certain precautions taken so that they can't be sued. For example, I noticed that they don't call these reasons "reasons for disfellowshipping" but rather "reasons for forming a judicial committee." Even though the two seem to be the same?

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Correct the two are the same. If a JC is formed DF’ing is always a possibility.

And no, suicide has NOT been removed as a reaosn for df’ing. There is direction to call the branch before proceding with that comitte

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

I either heard a podcast story or read an account that spoke of a posthumously. If they can be that monstrous, why not do it for an unsuccessful attempt. The cult often lacks any heart, and if a JC is formed, anything can be on the table.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

All they need is to call it "brazen conduct". Once they do that, even saying the word "Darn" can be grounds for disfellowshipping, regardless of what the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger officially comes up with. And, if they label it "brazen conduct", they have protected themselves from getting sued because the official reason would be "brazen conduct", not "attempted suicide".

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    On page 59, point #4, it lists attempted suicide as a reason for disfellowshipping. Has it ever been removed?

No, it has not been removed. However, it has a line at the end of the point saying that in most of the attempted suicide cases, judicial hearings are not required.

Have the Jehovah's Witnesses added some hand-written notes to this point?

No policy letter has been issued on this point since 2010. No marginal notes either.

In theory, can one still be disfellowshipped for attempted suicide?

Suicide/Attempted suicide in itself is not a disfellowshipping offence. However, if the attempt for suicide was made to run away from a gross wrongdoing, the wrongdoing will form a reason for DF'ing. In some countries, attempted suicide is still punishable by law. See Section 309 of Indian Penal Code which criminalizes attempted suicide. Not all attempted suicide cases are due to depression or mental illness.

I noticed that they don't call these reasons "reasons for disfellowshipping" but rather "reasons for forming a judicial committee." Even though the two seem to be the same?

No, these two are not the same. Not all Judicial Committees end up in a disfellowshipping verdict. There are many cases which just end up in a judicial reproof of 3/6/12 months or so.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3
    Saename

Sheeesh , I would never have thought of this as a DF offence or a reason for a JC meeting..How heartless can this organization be ? For someone to reach the depths of despair to contemplate taking their own life and acting on it regardless of what the motive behind it is ,they need help and compassion and not a big stick threatening to DF them or put restrictions on them at a JC meeting which would only drive them deeper into despair.

And they call themselves" Shepherds of the Flock" ?

words fail me

Sorry your link does not work,Saename

• alanv
    alanv

Attempted suicide is really attempted murder, i e taking a life. It doesnt matter to the org why someone may do that, only if they are truly repentant after the attempt. If they are not, then yes they could be disfellowshipped.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Yes. they can DF for attempted suicide. I expect if it was successful suicide they'd have a job.......

Morph - suicide has NOT been removed as a reaosn for df’ing. There is direction to call the branch before proceding with that comitte

This is true. I expect the WBT$ worried about legal action (lawsuits).

I saw a meme somewhere about JWs being worried, not about 'persecution' rather 'prosecution'.

• freddo
    freddo

As a long time JW in the UK and being aware of several attempted suicides among jw's from the 1970's through until now and being an elder between the late 80's and the late 2000's I have never known of a judicial committee being formed to deal with attempted suicide.

It has always been mentioned as a possibility in the Shepherd the Flock books ranging from the paperback pre-green elder books, through the green book to the latest one.

I think from memory and anecdotally older brothers said it may have happened in the 1960's but then in the UK it was a "crime" but even the legal system erred on the side of "diminished responsibility" aka mental health issues.

So theoretically possible but I have never known or heard of it in the last 40 years in the UK.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

There was a case in my old congregation where a sister had committed adultery and then, filled with remorse, had taken an overdose. She then later confessed to the elders and the adultery was regarded as extenuating circumstances that led to the overdose. As she was married to an already df'd person, the adultery was treated as the minor offence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit