JWs reach new milestone - JW.org reaches 1,000 languages

by Wonderment 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Half banana
    Half banana

How many Welsh speaking witnesses have been converted since spending a fortune on Welsh translations and a big luxury house to translate it in? Erse? Scots Gaelic? Sentinelese? Piraha? Where does it get them? Just more property!

Just like their pride in having the largest print run for a magazine, the milestone of having their propaganda translated into 1000 languages is just prideful.

Really, who wants to read the JW "good news" that God is going to mercilessly murder most of his own children again-- especially after promising he would not do so?

(I am waiting for the Watchtower to come out in one of the whistled languages)

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

All this self praise.............and yet they still can't protect children from predators that the GovBod (piss be onto them), endorse, are and hide.

• DomineIvimus-DI
    DomineIvimus-DI

Jehovah must be so grateful, if it wasn’t for the efforts of the slave, however would he be able to reach everyone...

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

SO - MORE languages to be IGNORED IN!
    :)

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

The Truth In Translation= a picture paints a thousand words but The Watchtower is a punctured lie a thousand languages can’t obviate or obfuscate!!

Heck ! All that verbiage produces more bs than the total bovine population of the world! Pity the bs is devoid of any methane! Could have solved the third world countries’ village illumination problems!

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Brothers & friends:

I can't speak for all of you, but to me the information presented on this page is significant. For one, it exposes some issues which go over the head of a lot of people. Irrespective of whether we like the WTS or not, if we are fair, we give credit where it is due, just like we also reserve the right to make constructive criticisms when the need be.

Last century, the WTS championed religious freedom in the courts worldwide, so the rest of us could gather free of harassment and persecution. We are in debt to the WTS for this. At the same time, I am sincere enough to acknowledge that while the WTS fought for religious freedom in courts on behalf of the worldwide community and its own adherents, they have failed us in the last decades in restricting our own freedom of speech within the congregation itself. That is not good! This is one big factor which explains why so many here are disenchanted (even hateful) with this organization.

That said, I must point out that one thing that stands out in this announcement, as an outside reader, is that many people all over the place love to downplay how inefficient the WT translators are, that they don't know a thing about translation, and so on. But here is the thing, while those critics amount to a big heap reaching the moon, the WTS quietly is proving them wrong. They are doing what others have a very hard time to accomplish. Do you think this is a small matter? Not me.

The WTS is providing Bible material in languages which have no printed characters and scripts. They are creating their own... true, to serve their specific interests, but one cannot overlook the fact that everyone else are likely going to benefit from their accomplishments. How significant is all this? Their efforts to provide sign language in some many languages is amazing. Below, I have put some of their statements in bold which I find particularly interesting, like this one: "In fact, many of those 1,000 languages have no other publications available on the web.”

The website offers a wealth of downloadable material in 1,000 languages. Of these, jw.org’s home page and other pages can be navigated in an unprecedented 821 languages, making it the most widely translated website in the world. Much of the translation is done by well-trained volunteers who work in some 350 remote translation offices around the world.

“Translating into and publishing in so many languages can pose special challenges,” explains Brother Izak Marais, who oversees Translation Services at the world headquarters in Warwick, New York, U.S.A. “At times we wanted to publish in a less common language, but all the characters were not available for that language. So, over the years, we have provided artwork for countless characters and font sets, allowing us to produce printed publications in hundreds of languages. Similarly, we have overcome many challenges to make our publications available in so many languages on jw.org. In fact, many of those 1,000 languages have no other publications available on the web.”

Brother Clive Martin, who oversees the MEPS Programming department added: “One challenge we have faced is how to represent an article in hundreds of languages, with different scripts and layouts, on a single website. For example, 21 of the languages we support are written from right to left. For the 100 sign languages we support, we had to create a unique design that is easy for deaf users to navigate.” (End of quote.)

There is a website here which makes its living from translating material for customers who have that need:

https://www.tomedes.com/translator-hub/most-translated-website.php

What does he say about the WT efforts? See for yourself.

Also: https://www.pangeanic.com/knowledge_center/which-is-the-most-translated-website-in-the-world/#

https://www.geekinsta.com/what-is-the-most-translated-website-in-the-world/

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I owe them nothing.

DD

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Once again the wt has bragging rights about 'numbers'. Numbers are extremely important to the wt society. They can no longer brag about the increase in members or the increase in the number of congregations or how much literature they gave away. So now they have to brag about how many languages they have translated. They have translated, not the Bible, but only their bullshit into 1,000 languages.

Oh---they can brag about the increase in the numbers of how many can now sip the wine and nibble the crackers at the Memorial. lol lol

just saying!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It doesn't matter how many languages you print this rubbish in. It is still rubbish, whether in English, German, Sanskrit, Hebrew (ugh!), or in some made-up language. About the only thing I could see using it for is to pick a foreign language that none of the hounders understand, and use that to befuddle them during hounding calls.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

I remember my dad using this as an argument when I left the JWs. And I told him: They translated the message that the generation that saw 1914 would not pass away in hundreds of languages and printed and distributed it in the billions of times. Did it make it true?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit