How can you tell someone they have bad breath without offending?

by James Mixon 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Here, have some gum. No, really: HAVE SOME GUM.

Or maybe couch it in terms of concern. "Dude, I hate to tell you this, but your breath could stop a Mack truck. Maybe you need to check with your dentist to make sure you don't have an infection brewing in a tooth."

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

"Has anyone seen my pet rat? Oh - maybe it crawled into your mouth and died?"

• MightyV8
    MightyV8

How can you tell someone they have bad breath without offending?

easy

"Mate your breath sinks what have you been doing, chewing on dogs shit or what"

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Once people loose their teeth, in my experience, they stop having bad breath - unless they have a digestive problem. So probably Methusalah with his nice false teeth wouldnt have bad breath. Oh wait....they didnt have falsies back then, your loving family had to chew up your buffalow meat for you first, then give it to you nice snd soft😊!

Diet can make a difference too, drinking milk can make breath smell shortly after.

You are doing your friend a favour. He probably needs his teeth looking at, or he is not cleaning them properly. Too much plaque which attracts bacteria is the main cause of bad breath isnt it?

Edit: just be honest and say only a real friend will tell you things that are difficult or that you dont want to hear. Anyone can tell fairy stories to please people and be popular...we know that more than anyone!

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Thanks folks for some good advice. I'am the type of guy if you have a dirty nose I will tell you. Last year playing golf in 50 degree weather with the guys, so after the round of golf I get in my car and look in the mirror and there is dried mucus around my nose. The following week the day of golf I jumped all over the guys, why didn't someone tell me I had a dirty nose. That's how it started with my friend, he had a dirty nose and then I told him about his BB. What's worst, telling someone they have a dirty nose or they have BB...

• kerryj
    kerryj

As someone who suffered from halitosis as a child (and now has a mouthful of fillings due to the uneducated way it was handled), there are two strong possibilities that your friend might not be doing - using dental floss, and brushing his tongue.

If it's bad breath like you say, a mint is not going to help!

Also, on the subject of brushing your teeth, you might already know this but, fun fact - you're not supposed to brush your teeth within a half hour after eating. But that's not really because it will give you bad breath.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

kerryj: Didn't know that,thanks.

• stillin
    stillin

Hey, They told me that you eat dog crap sandwiches but I defended you. I told them that you don't eat bread.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Care for a tic-tac?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit