Has WT actually drafted an End of Days tract?

by schnell 22 Replies latest jw friends

• schnell
    schnell

Mmkay, now we're off topic. I'm well aware of the use of astrology in the bible, @Raymudas Martini. If you can demonstrate how this leads to anything actually happening, you are welcome to try.

I will take issue with this statement:

The Bible was written for our day, and there is a reason the Mayan calendar ended in 2012.

"The Bible" was canonized later and developed rather politically. It's a hodgepodge anthology full of contradictions and pseudepigrapha, as well as appropriated legends and motifs. It's pretty kitschy, actually. Your mention of the Mayan calendar makes your entire reply suspect.

• sir82
    sir82

there is a reason the Mayan calendar ended in 2012.

Let me guess....Kinich Ahau began his invisible heavenly parousia then?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What can be confirmed is that fear mongering charlatanism by a religious publishing group can be successful, look how far the Watchtower Corporation has gone.

How long the light will stay on top of this watchtower is up for speculation though.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

They already did I judgment message. Remember the "end of false religion NEAR!" Brochure? Lets see that was about 8 9 years ago. Near-huh?

• schnell
    schnell

@nowwhat?, Oh sure. There have been messages of judgment all along, I suppose, and then this card is played: "Obviously it didn't happen, but it will soon!"

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Damn, nowwhat? beat me to it.

• schnell
    schnell
    Was that officially the intent of that brochure?
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Schnell asked, "...Has such material been drafted or is this just another bluff?"

I was associated with JWs in NYC between approximately 1957-1977 or so. The days of my "yoot."

The Overseer of the Sunnyside congregation in Queens was Howard Zenke who worked the Service Desk in Bethel, if memory serves. The Middle Village congregation shared the Kingdom Hall with Sunnyside. The Overseer of Middle Village was Mike Smilnak, also a Bethelite. Both congregations had LOADS of Bethelites in various positions, and a handful of local, non-Bethelite family men who were elders and servants.

Having been there through the "1975 build-up" I can ASSURE you that while this "message of judgement" was a common JW fantasy, there was never any actual draft of such a message. This is similar to the way JWs yearned for the "big house on the hill" but never actually moved into it because REALITY kept getting in the way -- the world refused to die.

In my opinion, the "End of Blah-Blah-Blah" tracts don't count: NONE of those were "See, I told ya so!" messages.

The "End of Blah-Blah-Blah" tracts were like an evolution of the assembly "resolutions" of the early to mid 20th century; insignificant to both the (non-existent) "spiritual" and secular worlds.

• schnell
    schnell

That's what I thought. Thanks, Nathan Natas.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    schnell - "Has WT actually drafted an End of Days tract?"

Hmph.

Good luck to the WTS at adapting ol' Freddy Franz's Cold-War-era script to the Information Age...

...they'd have to do a complete page-one rewrite.

:smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit