There is a new letter to elders about Child Abuse

by ttdtt 69 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• steve2
    steve2

I suspect that the oft-repeated instruction to elders to 'contact the Legal Department' is because the elders can then be directed to do (or not do things) that might not sit well with the principles of best practice in responding to (allegations of) child sexual abuse.

Sobering indeed that "worldly" organizations demonstrate far greater sensitivity and responsivity towards following Best Practice guidelines in response to allegations of sexual crimes against children than does JW.org. No way can the organization ever claim again that they are different (i.e., better) than the churches of Christendom.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

They could have saved a lot of paper by saying:

1. At any allegation of child abuse, elders have the moral responsibility to call the police or Department of Social Services because they are trained to determine the truth of such claims.

2. That is all.

Anything more is unnecessary and shows a clear regard for WTBS above all else.

• prologos
    prologos
    21. Moving to Another Congregation: When an individual who has been accused of child sexual abuse (established or not) moves to another congregation, 22. When the elders are informed that an individual who has been accused of child sexual abuse (established or not) has moved into the congregation, (bold added for clarity.)

the society seems to take no chances, even unproven misconduct has their attention.

"voyeurism of a minor";

how is that defined? the watchtower elders watching the watchers?

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Can't we find two apostate elders who are willing to call Watchtower with a made up child abuse case and see what Watchtower tells them to (not) do?

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

That's a really good idea. Pose as two elders and make up the whole thing. Oh, and record it and play it back for us all to hear. That would be the bomb no doubt! :)

• smiddy
    smiddy

Could somebody with the know-how pass this letter on to the Australian Royal Commission Into Institutions of Child Sexual Abuse ? I`m sure they would be very happy /appreciate recieving it .

Also the letter sent to the Goddard report /invesigation in the UK into child Sexual Abuse , are two that come to mind .

And if their are any other cases around the world where Governments are looking at institutions that are under investigation of Child Sexual Abuse , I`m sure they too would appreciate a copy of this letter.

smiddy

• JHK
  • smiddy
    smiddy

I have just sent an e-mail to Angus Stewart of the ARC into child sexual abuse informing him of this letter.

Hopefully , he will be able to use it to the advantage of the royal commission .

Maybe others might like to do the same ? All the more the merrier ?

Does anybody have contact details for the UK , Goddard Report into child sex abuses ? where this information could also be sent ?

smiddy

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

As sir82 said, this letter is very similar to previous letters on this topic.

The WTS is making the same mistake they've always made: it doesn't matter whether child abuse is a 'gross sin' or not. What does matter is that child abuse is a very serious crime.

Child abuse and allegations of child abuse should be treated the same as murder or allegations of murder - i.e. go straight to the police.

Nobody needs a legal department to tell them this.

Also, well done Smiddy - showing this pathetic letter to Angus Stewart QC is a great idea.

• CookieMonster
    CookieMonster

Elders still not required to alert the authorities, this shows total disregard to the wider community. The offender may be dis-fellowshipped but he or she may continue to prey on kids in the neighborhood. Reporting to the authorities and putting the offender in the sex register is the loving and right thing to do. But I guess it doesn't matter since they are "worldly" people.

I also wish all appointed men get DBS checked since for all practical reasons they do work with children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit