News report - Montana Supreme Court Hearing: Silent No More: The Justices (Silent Part 4)

by AndersonsInfo 16 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

https://www.wlwt.com/article/silent-no-more-part-4-the-justices/29040023?fbclid=IwAR1BeVERLFKO8g4LZ5hbSIZe6DL1B87UKFABeVYV07IIzGziAWzq1gfvEVU

Silent No More: The Justices

Jehovah’s Witnesses argue Montana Supreme Court justices should overturn $35 million verdict—largest in U.S.

Mark Albert

Chief National Investigative Correspondent
    BILLINGS, Mont. —

Attorneys for the Jehovah’s Witnesses religious organization tried on Friday to overturn the largest civil verdict against it in U.S. history, arguing to the Montana Supreme Court that it did not violate the state’s mandatory reporter law that requires notifying authorities of suspected child abuse allegations in some instances.

The justices of the Montana Supreme Court hear oral arguments in Nunez v. Watchtower, in Billings, Montana, on Sept. 13, 2019. The justices of the Montana Supreme Court hear oral arguments in Nunez v. Watchtower, in Billings, Montana, on Sept. 13, 2019.
    READ MORE: https://www.wlwt.com/article/silent-no-more-part-4-the-justices/29040023?fbclid=IwAR1BeVERLFKO8g4LZ5hbSIZe6DL1B87UKFABeVYV07IIzGziAWzq1gfvEVU
  •  The Bethelite
    The Bethelite

Good job Barbara keep up the good work.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I dont think the JWS will succeed in getting this overturned.

The Catholic lawyers tried to have the penalties over turned against them and they were unsuccessful as well.

Religions that deliberately cover up incidences like this are getting called out.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I believe that the WTBTS has had its historic victories because the general public didn’t really know what they believed and what issues they had.

Some savvy and intelligent persons were able to call the Watchtower out in some cases, like when Rutherfraud was imprisoned, but it seems many Judges and Prosecutors were historically clueless.

Thats all changing thanks to many factors, like the Internet and Ex-JW activism. Just look at Irwin Zalkin and his crew, or Angus Stewart. They have shown that they understand the belief system of the Watchtower. Therefore, they can spot the hypocrisy. That underlying sense of justice is why these guys have cared enough to dig in, do the research and not just say, “Well, ....... freedom of religion.” 🤪

Some belief systems do not deserve respect. THE END.

Until more humans evolve and understand this we are going to have archaic belief systems doing more harm than good. Don’t get me wrong, the archetypal wisdom in ancient stories can be valuable, that’s why it’s still around, but let’s drop the line of “reasoning” that ancient books are the inerrant word of some Deity.

At any rate, it seems like the Watchtower is being exposed to more scrutiny and it’s all because of...well, because of all of us. Never underestimate what we do, even if it seems inconsequential at the time.

DD

• zeb
    zeb

.Thank you the Andersons,

I hope the lawyers for the victims are made aware of the antics of the wt executive in Australia in the CARC.

Because as you know the abuse and denials is not a problem in one US state but an international one.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Thank you to the Andersons and to every single person who keeps this cult's evil persona in the public eye.

Every person who studies with JW's should have the opportunity to learn what this business corporation is really all about - and it's certainly not about truth!

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

This brings to mind the chapter in the my book of bible stories where the disciples tried to stop the children from "bothering" Jesus and Jesus rebuked them- trying to teach them the right way to view and treat children. Hello all the wt spies reading these posts...and the PIMI ones on the fence...doesn't the example of Jesus and how he feels about children matter to you??? The organization you worship is not demonstrating the love they profess to have.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

In my opinion, this is the key:

"The statute says who's a mandatory reporter,” and the New York-based organization does not qualify, Taylor argued.

At the time of the abuse, did the State of Montana require religious leaders to report any knowledge of child abuse? If so, WT is guilty for not reporting and thus allowing further abuse. IF NOT, WT did not fall short of it's legal obligation.

If your State does not have mandatory reporting laws, it's YOUR problem because the lawmakers are YOUR representative. Fix the law.

• johnamos
    johnamos

Quote - If your State does not have mandatory reporting laws, it's YOUR problem because the lawmakers are YOUR representative. Fix the law. - End quote

I agree! Why don't they start there...just make everyplace a mandatory report. That would mean that there isn't any reason to report to an elder/WTS to begin with. The victim themselves would be mandatory to report or is victim told parents/family/friends first, (especially is victim was a minor) then whomever was told first should report.

I never understood why elders are told to begin with. I have not heard a JW ever say that their car was stolen or bike was stolen or house was broken into...so they are going to an elder to tell him. No, they go straight to the police, so why when abused not go straight to police?

As shitty as the WTS is with their policies, why do most here always blame the WTS/elders for not reporting, instead of blaming the ones who reported to the elders to begin with?

If for whatever reason the victim told an elder first, then I agree that that elder should report it (especially if it was mandatory law to do so, which is why all states should all have such laws) but if an elder was not told first, then whoever was/is should be the one/s to do so.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    I have not heard a JW ever say that their car was stolen or bike was stolen or house was broken into...so they are going to an elder to tell him. No, they go straight to the police, so why when abused not go straight to police?

Because they know who did it. If they knew that another JW stole their car or bike or broke into their home, they would first go to the Elders. Not the police.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit