Like Father, Like Son

by cofty 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Coldsteel - You have done what every christian apologist does when challenged about god's appalling ethics; you lied.

My moral objection is about how god instructed Israel to take slaves as possessions from non-Jewish nations. You changed the subject and waffled about treatment of Jewish servants.

As rational and ethical humans we understand that it is fundamentally wrong for one human to own another human and to treat them as if they were commodities.

Your god did not manage to grasp this basic ethical fact.

"As for your male and female slaves whom you may have—you may acquire male and female slaves from the pagan nations that are around you. Then, too, it is out of the sons of the sojourners who live as aliens among you that you may gain acquisition, and out of their families who are with you, whom they will have produced in your land; they also may become your possession. You may even bequeath them to your sons after you, to receive as a possession; you can use them as permanent slaves. But in respect to your countrymen, the sons of Israel, you shall not rule with severity over one another." Lev.25

That sounds despicable to 21st century minds because it is. There is no use prevaricating about how it was common practice in Iron Age Palestine or how Israel treated their slaves better than other nations.

Does your god measure his morals against the depravities of others?

It gets worse...

"If his master gives him a wife, and she bears him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall belong to her master, and he shall go out alone." - Ex.21

So much for your god's concern for the family. The wife and children of slaves become the inheritable possessions of the Jewish master. Nothing more than chattel.

Why does the UN Commission on Human rights understand ethics more clearly than your omnipotent god?

"If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, he survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his property." - Ex.21

Now back to the point of the thread. According to christians Jesus is Yahweh of the OT.

Therefore gentle Jesus of the gospels is an advocate of slavery of the worse kind.

I will get to Jesus' approval of genocide, kidnap, forced marriage/rape and baby murdering tomorrow.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    Cofty» I never [resort to name calling] - ever. I get called names by believers most days but I never respond in kind. It's ok I know you won't apologise for your lie.
    Oh, really? You say that you never engage in name calling, but the first thing you do is say I'm a liar!
    Then, in your very next post, you say:
    You have done what every christian apologist does when challenged about God's appalling ethics; you lied.
    So where did I lie that you should call me a liar?

I'm not saying that Israel did not take permanent slaves. They did not enslave, but were able to buy them from surrounding nations. Thus, according to the law:

As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly. (Leviticus 25:44-46)

The law stipulates that Israelites were not allowed to take a man by force: "Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death." (Exodus 21:16) This refers to any man. But if the man is already a slave, the law allows him to be purchased as property. Both the law and the gospel advocated that servants be loyal to their masters, and that masters be kind to their servants.

"Servants," wrote Peter, "be subject to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle, but to the unjust." (I Peter 2:16) And Jesus referred to himself as a slave. "But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” (Mark 10:42-46)

Atheists view this life as it. Period. But God created man to become like Him, and this earth as an exile and a place of testing and development. The law given to the people of God in all nations consist of compassion, respect, honor, loyalty, virtue, integrity and love for God and one's fellow man. And again, Christians believe trying to judge God without knowing what He knows is folly.

Those from pagan nations who were enslaved could have had it a lot worse. They had health care, shelter, the right to marry, food, a day of rest, and even though they could be inherited, they were often given their liberty. They also were frequently educated by their masters and were allowed to take part in the family's religion. And instead of being sent to the salt mines or slaving away in the fields, most were made domestic servants. That doesn't mean slavery is a great institution, but if I were a slave back then, I'd sure as hell would rather be a servant to Israelites than Edomites, Canaanites, Egyptians, Philistines or anyone else; because the Israelites knew they were stewards over their possessions.

That's what led Job to declare, “If I have rejected the cause of my manservant or my maidservant, when they brought a complaint against me, what then shall I do when God rises up? When he makes inquiry, what shall I answer him? Did not he who made me in the womb make him? And did not one fashion us in the womb?" (Job 31: 13-15)

Finally, if a slave did escape and flee, and sought assistance from another Jew, that Jew is prohibited by the law in turning the slave back over to his master. And in that day and under those circumstances, it wasn't that difficult to escape. There were no chains and most domestic servants had enough freedom that if they really had it bad, they could escape and know the other Jews couldn't drag him back bound and gagged. That's a strange form of slavery.
    This isn't mere rationalization. Although I don't like the institution of slavery, where one man owns another, who am I, or you, to judge God? But what is your object? Is it that the God of Israel is a monster because he destroys the wicked and condones slavery? Or is it that He can't exist because a perfect being would not do such things...in your opinion?

As a believer in God, I don't feel I can judge Him. But if one doesn't believe in God, slavery isn't going to be a viable part of the debate as it neither proves nor negates His existence. God does not live by the U.N. mandates, nor does He share all of our values. "For my ways are not your ways, neither are your thoughts my thoughts. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

As for your other jabs, have fun. No matter what others say, you've already made your judgments. If I'm right, explain them to God. If you're right, then there's no right or wrong anyway. No one will have to answer for anything. Even history will eventually crumble to pieces and be forgotten.

• cofty
    cofty

Coldsteel - Not a single word in your reply deals with the challenge. It's all just obfuscation.

God told Israelites they could...

• take slaves from other nations
    • Own them as permanent possessions
    • Pass them on to their children
    • Be free of blame if their slave died of a beating (as long as they lasted until the next day)
    • Keep a man's wife and children if he was ever granted freedom

This is morally repugnant.

Jesus approves of conduct that is rejected by every sensible 21st century person.

I will get to his other crimes later.

Although I don't like the institution of slavery, where one man owns another, who am I, or you, to judge God?

I can't answer for you but I'm an intelligent and ethically aware human being who won't be told that slavery is good just because an ancient book says so.

By the way when I said that you had lied that wasn't name-calling, it was a simple statement of fact. I never resort to name-calling.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Cofty your point about the identity of God and Jesus and their relationship is fundamental to Christian belief and yet as you point out it presents a striking ambiguity.

This fact is at the heart of Christian theology, for more than sixteen hundred years it has distracted the minds of honest people seeking truth but the father / son paradox presents us with the clear signature of something other than truth.

Only in myth can the irreconcilable be harmonized. Only in myth can contradictory, impossible or illogical tales be presented without an assault on the intellect.

I have been thinking about this for some time and conclude that the only answer is that the Biblical account is merely an extension and re-writing of older folk tales.

The oldest rustic wisdom comes from a vast repository of story-lines which gave the needed explanation for "the meaning of life" through the movements of the literal heavens as seen on a night with a clear sky. Humans always want an explanation.

Before writing was invented the description of the heavenly bodies served as the universal book and the tales of the heavenly gods were told again and again. They were drawn from the pattern of the constellations (formed only by the human imagination) and the daily rotation of the Earth and the annual movements of the Sun. Heavenly activity, it was thought, determined events on Earth in the form of natural effects of wind, storm, flood, drought, darkness, success or failure etc. Light and darkness were key indicators.

These tales transcend nation and continents and variants of them are to be found from Mexico to Siberia to India. The common factor being that the stellar objects are universal and the mnemonics for repeating their stories to the next generation became the foundations of universal religious belief.

This is a large subject deliberately hidden and condemned as pagan by fourth century Roman Christianity but to cut to the chase, the ambiguity of the father and son in the astronomical myth; is central to the solar myth element and is demonstrated at the spring equinox alias Easter.

The Solar hero “born in the Virgin” of astrology with oxen (Taurus) present, became the teacher and healer assembling his twelve helpers (zodiacal houses) as he travelled through them in the solar year. He was destined every year to be born on the shortest day and die a sacrificial death at Easter whereby he would as the Solar God return to his heavenly father who was also a Solar God. The two ruling together each year in heaven was explained by the increased strength of the sunlight in the northern hemisphere at this time of year.

Incidentally it was only from about 390 BCE that it was understood that the sun at Easter appeared to cross over or “passover” from the southern dominance to the northern. In technical speech the plane of the ecliptic i.e. the natural plane at which the centre of the Earth travels around the sun crosses over the line of the equator, making equal day and night time...which is the meaning of "equinox" and happens twice each year in spring and autumn. (It is necessary to have a clear mental image of why the seasons arise to grasp this.)

As the armillary sphere demonstrates this “pass over” forms a "cross" where the two lines converge (the plane of the ecliptic and the equator) and this saltire shape or St Andrews cross became the symbol on which the Saviour Mithra stood. So being sacrificed at the spring equinox on a cross was the mnemonic or symbol for the solar event. By this central belief we can connect the Jewish Passover with the Mithraic cross and all the solar- Gods such as Jesus, Dionysus, Attis, Osiris and Horus et al.

No self respecting saviour figure would be seen without his cross at Easter!

The confounding and persistent detail of the myth is that father of the sacrificed Solar God was himself a Sun God.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

I've seen this "the Israelites couldn't kidnap" defense on the issue of slavery several times, but I'm still waiting to see why this matters.

"You can buy humans, but don't you go stealing them!"

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    Again, if God exists, then He knows all things past, present and future; He knows the hearts and thoughts of all men. He is perfect. He is just. It's pointless to try to judge Him by atheistic standards, ethics or morals as those are not even binding on themselves, much less God.

That's a leap you are taking: if God exists, then he is all these other things like perfect and just.

You are running around in circles:

• My God is perfect and just.
    • How do you know?
    • Look at all the stuff He has done, it shows how just and perfect He is.
    • Mmm....okay, but what about allowing humans to be kept as property when He could have easily forbidden it, just like he forbade a lot of useless stuff? (Or insert other objections)
    • That's also perfect and just, because God is perfect and just! Don't you dare judge Him!

This line of reasoning sounds like

• All cars are red.
    • Umm, what about this blue one?
    • It's also red, because all cars are red. Besides you are not qualified to question colors because you don't accept all cars are red!
  • cofty
    cofty

Imagine a political candidate announced his intention to reintroduce slavery to the USA.

His plan is to allow US citizens to take illegal immigrants as permanent possessions. They can be bought and sold and passed on to children as an inheritance. If a slave marries, his wife and children will also become the property of the American slave owner.

He is at pains to point out that the slaves will have some protections under law. They can be beaten but not beaten to death - well if they die of their injuries the next day that will be ok. In any case he reassures everybody that in many ways it won't be the same as slavery used to be.

Would this policy prevent you from voting for such a candidate?

If not, then your morals have no place in a modern democracy.

If it would, then you are judging Jesus to be morally deficient.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit