Like Father, Like Son

by cofty 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

When faced with awkward questions about the morality of god many christians respond by distancing themselves from the Old Testament and focusing on "gentle Jesus meek and mild" of the New Testament.

For bible-believing christians this is intellectually dishonest.

According to christian dogma Jesus was the god of Abraham Isaac and Jacob. The Logos, the Alpha and Omega who is "the same yesterday, today, and forever."

He claimed that "he that has seen me has seen the Father" and that "I and the Father are one".

In short, christians assert that Jesus is Almighty God from all eternity.

It therefore follows that Jesus was the god who ordered the nation of Israel to take slaves as inheritable possessions. Jesus instructed the armies of Joshua to commit genocide, to murder women and babies in cold blood and to kidnap virgins for sex-slaves.

Jesus of the gospels is like a Nazi leader with a new identity living like a harmless, friendly old man in South America.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

I'm getting the impression that a few "JWs gone Atheist" believe that the God of the Old Testament, if he were truly good, would not have done anything that would compromise anyone's happiness.

If there was a God, should the circumstances have been kinda like the JW's Paradise? Is that what I'm getting here?

I just read these with curiosity as this perspective is very different from that which I know. And btw, I only passively engage in these debates. I can't learn the mindset of those who I'm trying to help if I'm busy telling people what they should think.

Will be gone for a few hours... but I'm excited to read the thoughts that get added.

• cofty
    cofty
    .. if he were truly good, would not have done anything that would compromise anyone's happiness.

I have never encountered anybody with such a simplistic viewpoint. If I did I would join the theist in correcting them.

On the other hand a god who ordered the nation of Israel to take slaves as inheritable possessions,instructed the armies of Joshua to commit genocide, to murder women and babies in cold blood and to kidnap virgins for sex-slaves, is not good by any sensible definition of the word; certainly not good when judged by the words of Jesus of the gospels.

• JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    If there was a God, should the circumstances have been kinda like the JW's Paradise? Is that what I'm getting here?

No, you're missing the point altogether. Jesus as a reflection of the father is dishonest because Jehovah didn't act in same manner as Jesus did when on earth (according to the gospels). Jesus was in effect a revisionist explanation for the God of the old testament. The reason for this is that ancient Israel was a product of the times they lived in.Their God was a reflection of those times. Mankind created God, not the over way around.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I already answered this point on another thread. But because there was a fundamentalist present on that thread you ruled my explanation out of order. (How that follows I don't know) Are you inviting the response on this thread. Or are only weak fundamentalist answers allowed on this thread also?

• cofty
    cofty

From the OP...

"For bible-believing christians this is intellectually dishonest."

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    its interesting Cofty highlighting the role Jesus Christ plays in the so called triune godhead(I'm neither fussed by a triune god or monotheism, both mean nothing to me) and not something I've generally paid too much attention to even as a jw and after I left for a short time as a Christian I played up the fact that the ransom was to do away with the Mosaic Law and this new religion was nice and comfortable and far easier than the shackles that were placed on those practising Judaism or any other belief system, but a good point to discuss with Christians and to emphasise that JC/Yahweh or whatever you want to call it and the so called Holy Spirit is just as malevolent as the god of the OT, good points.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Liberals consider themselves bible believing Christians.
  • cofty
    cofty

The OP is a challenge to christians who believe that all 66 books of the bible are inspired of god and that the events described in the OT and NT actually happened as described.

There are many flaws in the beliefs of "liberal christians" but this challenge is not one of them.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Okay so only weak fundamentalist answers are welcome. That's clear. So when you are done hammering your weakest opponents and the shallowest counter arguments - then you'll get around to tackling the strongest counter arguments, right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit