Like Father, Like Son

by cofty 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Do you have to work hard at being obtuse?

I have raised a specific challenge against evangelical doctrine.

I have many other threads that challenge the beliefs of liberal christianity.

The longest sustained debate in the history of the forum challenges the foundation of liberal christianity.

This thread is about an important internal contradiction in the sort of christianity believed in by millions of christians.

• Simon
    Simon

Most christians like to focus on the new testament and only visit the old testament when they want to argue about the 10 commandments being somehow relevant and deserving of a place on a government lawn.

The gods in both books represent the exact same family business and values but the later book underwent significant re-branding - lets face it, the OT was the ISIS-fest of it's day and they was inspiration for much of the barbarism of the Catholic and Protestant blood-fest in the middle ages.

Now it's all about re-branding and selling it as a new-age hippy hug-everyone good-will-to-all family friendly easy to follow lifestyle.

Just one reason theists don't like to discuss the bible in any detail or god in any detail but talk in broad terms about feelings and mystery.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Do you mean the thread where you referred to a discussion with your pastor and tried to argue that suffering shows there is no God or no God worth knowing? I pointed out the answer on that thread also. The Bible both describes God as good and that we cannot understand the mind of God or his reason for acting the way he does. This is the Bible's answer. Whether we like it or not.
  • Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    Cofty» In short, Christians assert that Jesus is Almighty God from all eternity.

TRUE.

It therefore follows that Jesus was the God who ordered the nation of Israel to take slaves as inheritable possessions. Jesus instructed the armies of Joshua to commit genocide, to murder women and babies in cold blood and to kidnap virgins for sex-slaves.

FALSE. In no instance did God ever "order" the taking of slaves. He did, however, allow it as it was an ancient custom. And though they could be inherited, the Lord directed that on certain occasions and jubilees that the slaves be released with compensation. It was, I suppose, better than being subjected to death. And God never instructed people to murder, as murder was against the law. I don't ever recall the Lord using the term "murder" in that regard. The Canaanites were a perverted people who sacrificed their own infants in the fires of Molech. There's a difference between cleansing and murder. And Christians don't view death as the end of existence, but rather, a penalty. So if God is real and gave those commandments, then those who died simply went from one phase of existence to another. And if God doesn't exist, then there is no good or evil anyway.

Jesus of the gospels is like a Nazi leader with a new identity living like a harmless, friendly old man in South America.

RIDICULOUS. One day every knee will bend and every tongue will confess that Jesus is the Christ. And when that day comes, I want you to remember this in all vividness -- that you thought you were good enough to judge Him.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

God does something that appears to be good, the Christian appreciates the goodness of God.

God does something that appears to be not good, the Christian doesn't understand the mind of God.

Kind of like a mother whose son is a serial killer, she loves him anyway.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    RIDICULOUS. One day every knee will bend and every tongue will confess that Jesus is the Christ. And when that day comes, I want you to remember this in all vividness -- that you thought you were good enough to judge Him.

You counter what you call ridiculous, with pure fantasy.

One day, everyone who has ever lived will meet their eternal end, death. When that day arrives for you, I want you to remember this in all its vividness, that you will die like every other living thing that ever was.

• Simon
    Simon
    Do you mean the thread where you referred to a discussion ...

slimboyfat: let me make this very clear. I'm tired of seeing you trying to continue disagreements over multiple topics and ruin decent discussions with utter nonsense. Stick to the topic at hand and stop trying to carry on vendettas over discussions long gone.

I've lowered your posting limit again. Next step is deleting your account.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    2+2=5» You counter what you call ridiculous, with pure fantasy.

Fantasy has no hope of being reality. In every reality, fantasy is false. Religion and Christianity have not been shown to be false. Cofty has dismissed my and many other's comments with mostly insubstantial and, at best, unproven responses. My response, above, is no more fantasy than his, but I believe, as a Christian, that every knee shall bend and every tongue will confess Christ.

Cofty never, ever, says, "I believe..." but with, "This is the way it is..." He also resorts to name calling, which I'm not comfortable with. But to me, what he said in his post is just blather he's read on the Internet. I haven't seen him present one original thought. His arguments remind me of the flat earthers who spout some facts, but not ones that lead to correct conclusions.

But you're right as far as that my conclusions are not provable. But if they're ridiculous, they're no more or less so than his. But this board is all about opinions and experiences.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Cold steel

"In no instance did God ever" order" the taking of slaves .He did however , allow it as it was an ancient custom .And though they could be inherited ,the Lord directed that on certain occasions and Jubilees , that the slaves be released with compensation "

Jehovah allowed the taking of slaves because it was an ancient custom of men .Seriously ?

Who is GOD here .

On certain occasions and Jubilees the slaves could be released with compensation . Big Deal

Jubilee`s occurred .every 50 years , So in reality a slave could be released when he was 50 , 60 , 70 ,80 years old , as I said before big deal , thank you Jehovah .( sarcasm intended )

As for Jehovah never committing murder , you have to be kidding.

Man , woman , child , in countless nations were put to death by the sword at the instruction of Jehovah God in the Old Testament , with the instruction" do not feel sorry for them"" Old men young men , women and children"

You are being pedantic in saying " you don`t recall the Lord using the word murder "

smiddy

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Coldsteel

He did, however, allow it as it was an ancient custom.

God supposedly wanted to make Israel his special people amongst the nations. He gave them several commands to remember them they were different. Israel was not allowed to follow the customs of the land when it came to very important things like clothing (don't mix two fibres in one cloth, add a blue ribbon and fringes to you garment) or cooking (don't eat blood, no pork etc, don't boil a goat in his mother's milk).

Israel was not allowed to do these ancient customs.

But when it came to slavery and war crimes....well it would be too much to ask Israel to stop following the customs of the nations with that, right? It's not that human life and dignity is more important than clothing and cooking and having a day of.

And though they could be inherited, the Lord directed that on certain occasions and jubilees that the slaves be released with compensation.

Yeees, but only the Hebrew slaves were set free. All foreigners, POW and abducted girls were screwed for life (also literally) (Le 25)

So when the OP states that Jesus is God's image, it means that Jesus is more concerned with what you eat and how you dress than with human life and freedom.

Hey does that remind you of a certain religion?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit