Date of Adam's "Creation?

by Slidin Fast 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Disillusioned JW:

Furthermore, they make the Bible based date of the creation of Adam a little bit closer to what modern science science says is when our species evolved into existence.

I guess that’s technically true. In the same way that a snail climbing a plant stalk gets closer to the moon.

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

I backtracked as well years ago and a few years back finally saw where Adam had been created outside the garden of eden- he was placed there after it was created, so that leaves me stymied as to how many years was Adam outside the garden, pushing back years of his creation into what time period?

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Does it even matter? If you believe the Bible, then you have to acknowledge that ALL the spirit sons of God knew when Adam was created since they "applauded" at the creation. Yet, they do not know the day or the hour so why does it matter?

The creation date of Adam apparently is not correlated to the destruction of the system if you reason on this honestly. JWs went down that path many years ago but in higher circles, they concluded that it had no bearing on the date for the GT or Armageddon. The numerologists among them may still cling to it but the publishing wing of the corp walked away from that speculation. I suspect that they quietly acknowledged that man has been on earth for a LOT LONGER than 6000 yrs. That is the story to keep your eyes on.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Jeffro, your funny comment of " In the same way that a snail climbing a plant stalk gets closer to the moon" is a grossly exaggerated comparison of my stated 12,000 BCE date versus the 4000 BCE date. Teaching 12,000 BCE date instead of a 4000 BCE date means that one is teaching an age of the Homo sapiens species which is more than twice that of the 6,000 years calculation that is based on a date of 4000 BCE. The 12,000 BCE date means an age of more than 14,000 years. Scientists currently say that Homo sapiens have existed for about 300,000 years. 14,000 years is 4.67% of the current scientifically calculated age. In contrast the distance walked by a snail climbing a plant stalk is an extremely tinier percentage of the distance between the sea level of the Earth to the moon. A much more accurate comparison would be of a snail climbing the entire height of Mount Everest (about 5.5 miles above sea level) and thereby getting closer to the moon (which is an average of 238,855 miles from Earth).

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Yes, it was exaggerated. That was largely the point.

Positing 14,000 years instead of 6,000 years may as well still be like a snail's efforts to reach the moon by scaling a plant. Plus they are still stuck with a requirement of a rate of species evolution since the fictitious 'Flood' far in excess of anything posed by so-called 'evolutionists'.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

truthlover123:

I backtracked as well years ago and a few years back finally saw where Adam had been created outside the garden of eden- he was placed there after it was created, so that leaves me stymied as to how many years was Adam outside the garden, pushing back years of his creation into what time period?

Genesis 5:5 says Adam lived a total of 930 years (over 800 years of which is explicitly after leaving the garden), which would necessarily include any period before he entered the garden, so that period wouldn't 'push back the years of his creation'.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thomas asked if it mattered?

I believe it matters because the credibility of God’ Word is at stake.

To me it is not the scripture that states the date of Adam but man’s calculations say it.

How do we know that all the relevant information is contained in The Bible? It was not written for that purpose.

I am no longer a literal Genesis creationist . It may not be written to be a scientific record. I admit I don’t know about such things . I just think it wrong to make mathematical calculations based on many scriptures and proclaim it to be a Bible teaching

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Hi Jeffro. Yes a fundamentalist interpretation of Genesis chapters 1- 2 creation accounts (without some evolutionary creationism or theistic evolution) are not consistent with evolution. Likewise the Genesis flood accounts (there are two interwoven flood accounts, pertaining to the day of Noah) when interpreted as one global flood are also inconsistent with evolution.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Disillusioned JW:

Likewise the Genesis flood accounts (there are two interwoven flood accounts, pertaining to the day of Noah) when interpreted as one global flood are also inconsistent with evolution.

It isn’t merely that the Flood stories in Genesis are “inconsistent with evolution”. The supposed timing of the event, associated genetic bottleneck, and subsequent species diversification would require evolution at an unprecedented rate.

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

Jeffro

Gen 2:1-8 indicates everything was already done when Adam formed and put into the garden. So the ancestry of the human family began to be recorded at that time taking all the descendants ages, etc. into account hence the ability to get the "creation" date as around 4026 BCE when backcounting.. If Adam was "made" outside the garden as it indicates, the instance when he was placed in the garden would be the start of the creation date, would it not? Then why does it state, that he was outside prior to the garden? How long was he outside? Yes I recognize it states his age at death but then that is looking at the days, seasons, years set up to mark time as we know it.

Scientists today state the earth is about 4.5 billion of years old -prior to scriptural info what was there? Timelessness, no markers, as the seasons and days and nights became the time markers as we know them today.

Just a thought- need some more insight

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit