Caitlyn Jenner has cognitive Dissonance

by sherrie11 21 Replies latest social entertainment

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

In a heated debate, trans activist and writer Jennifer Finney Boylan asked Jenner who among the GOP presidential field would be most supportive of trans people. In response, Jenner claimed, “All of ‘em.” Jenner said this without adding “SIKE!” or howling in ironic laughter. Instead, Jenner continued, “None of the Republicans say, ‘Oh, I hate trans people,’ or, ‘I hate gays.’ Nothing like that. They do more, ‘I want a thriving economy so every trans person has a job.’”

To be fair Jenner's comment was more concerning about jobs and the economy rather directly about the direct support of the LGBT community as a whole.

Which ideologically is kind of stupid since the Republican party is not known for its liberal acceptance of LGBT people.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

When I hear the expression "mentally diseased", I think of transgendered individuals. They obviously belong to a specific gender but their sick mind orients them against it. I align it with sick minded individuals who hear voices and act accordingly.

I do not hate, nor would I harm transgendered subjects, but I certainly believe their mind is ill, so I am dismissive about that community.

DY

• macys
    macys

Finkelstein ummmm no. Things have changed. I do not think you even know what the Republican party stands for. BTW I belong to the LGBT community. See my early posts.

• TheListener
    TheListener
    We need a political party that is fiscally conservative but socially liberal.
  • Simon
    Simon
    macys: people are allowed to not like Jenner, her driving record, her political opinions or her constant reality-show self promotion and saying so is not "hate".
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Finkelstein ummmm no. Things have changed. I do not think you even know what the Republican party stands for.

Well yes I do and its not about social liberalism, its about social conservatism, its about freewheeling self serving un regulated Capitalism. (Pro-business)

The Republican party is strongly supported by the religoius Evangelical right more so than the Democratic party and if you think the Republican ideological demographic supports the LGBT community, you may need to visit a psychiatrist.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

While I get that you can be fiscally conservative and transgender at the sme time, it does seem odd to me that Caitlan still fully embraces a party that for the most part is not very supportive of the LGBT community or its issues.

But then I can fully support a person's right to be be transgender while not liking them very much or agreeing with everything they say. I don't think it's hate, it's just having an opinion.

• JeffT
    JeffT
    macys: people are allowed to not like Jenner, her driving record, her political opinions or her constant reality-show self promotion and saying so is not "hate".

True. And I disagree with her self-promotion and stupid reality show (for the record, I dislike all "reality" shows). Her politics are her business and I don't know beans about her driving record. But in my mind saying her expressed opinions must be the result of cognitive dissonance reminds me too much of being called mentally diseased. Disagree to your heart's content, but leave out the personal attacks.

I also think there is too much emphasis in our public climate on the idea that all people with shared skin color or genitalia should think in a particular way.

Edited to add: my daughter self-describes as "gender fluid" or some such. She's married to a transgender queer woman. Both are welcome members of my family.

• out4good4
    out4good4

Here we go again.....

• sherrie11
    sherrie11

Macy I wasn't criticizing the LGBT community I actually support the rights of all individuals. I am sorry if it read that way.

Jeff T I wasn't commenting on her political opinions it was more about they way she reacted when the other woman tried to have a discussion about it with her. She was obviously uncomfortable when confronted with another world view then her own.

My question was: Has any one else had experiences that involve those who haven't been in a cult yet are clearly having a moment of cog dis?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit