Yoga. Evil practice?

by Darkknight757 22 Replies latest social physical

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

As our fade continues, the wife and I have decided to take up "the forbidden practice of.......yoga"!!!!😱

I was quite skeptical at first but so far it has really de-stressed our life in quite a spectacular way!! Not to mention the physical benefits.

Anyone else try Yoga or a similar discipline? Any videos that you can recommend would be really appreciated.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3SZ2xVnbcxY

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

We have not tried it but good for you both. We have taken up the evil practice of thinking. Lol I have heard good things about the benefits of yoga. Maybe we'll give it a try one day. Rock on!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I do something similar, therapy for a physical problem that I have. I use meditation music while doing the stretches and also control my breathing, I think the end result is much like you would get with yoga. I also practice straight meditation.

The two have helped me enormously. Both have been proven to lower blood pressure and reduce stress, cost very little or nothing and have no negative side effects. I feel much stronger and more flexible since starting the program, and have normal blood pressure with no medication. I am able to bend down and put my hands flat on the ground, not bad for 61. I have a business fixing up old furniture and I used to worry I would hurt myself with all the lifting, but I don't have any problems now.

It's sad that the Watchtower demonizes these practices, but I don't think they want people to be mentally and physically healthy, then they wouldn't need the Watchtower, lol. While they are used as part of a religious practice by some, they aren't actually religious in of themselves, and the idea that meditation leaves the mind vulnerable to demonic attack is ludicrous of course.

Think how much healthier everyone would be if they spent the hours they waste at the kingdom hall doing yoga instead!

• jws
    jws

While I think that there is benefit to the practice, there is also a lot of mumbo jumbo involved too. Imbalanced chakras, helping your energy flow, etc. It depends on who's teaching it and what they're teaching about it.

But there definitely can be things to criticize from both a scientific and religious point of view.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Just an interesting side note, a while ago Venus and Serena had a short lived reality show. I remember the one where Venus was being persuaded by her trainer to try Yoga and every time the trainer alluded to it Venus kept saying "my religion doesn't allow it' or "I can't do it because of my religion"! She was so spot on to turn down the offer to Yoga but if you asked her what was last weeks Watchtower about she wouldn't have a clue. I bet she hasn't stepped foot into KH for years, but still defends the name for some reason

• LifesNotOver
    LifesNotOver

They try to spoil everything for you! Before I was ever a JW I practiced Hatha Yoga for years and loved it! It did nothing to my brain but relax it, and helped my body immensely. When I first heard "we don't condone yoga, it's dangerous - Satan will overtake your thinking." well, just another thing I went along with that didn't make a lick of sense to me. I'm still struggling with how I could have been so duped. I've recently joined the YWCA for exercise, and think I'll join their yoga class. Or maybe a class somewhere for older folks would be safer. I hope I find out that joining the Y is a no-no too - then for sure I'll continue my membership! Such a rebel .. hee hee LNO

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions
    SHIRLEYW. . . every time the trainer alluded to it Venus kept saying "my religion doesn't allow it' or "I can't do it because of my religion"! She was so spot on to turn down the offer to Yoga but if you asked her what was last weeks Watchtower about she wouldn't have a clue.

Fantastic athlete, complete dope.

• Spiral
    Spiral

I love yoga, it's the best thing for stress. I love my yoga group as well. I hate thinking about how many years I wasn't able to go, because I was always wanted to. The thing about Satan taking over your brain is just ridiculous.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

I figure Satan already overtook my brain since the wife and I left Watchtower so why not invite a few demons in with some good old yoga. 😎

All kidding aside, yoga has been a nice change of pace to my normal workout which is mainly weight lifting. While nice, weightlifting can be stressful and can sometimes limit mobility. Adding yoga a few days a week helps you to learn to breath and be flexible which is good for preventing injury.

Spiritually speaking though the classes I take and the stuff I do at home has little to no spiritual significance. You learn to hone your focus and breathing which really clears the mind and helps eliminate stress.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Yoga is great. Its proven to ignite a host of benefits. Plus it keeps you active and moving as you age.

Even when I was in (and still an MS), I had no idea this was forbidden. I don't know if its punishment forbidden....but I know you will get a stern talking to.

So an elder found out I was doing it for my back....and his exact words were "you don't want to do that man.....big time DEEMO! Yogis try to get you to see spirits, and.....well.....its just super DEEMO!"

My exact words were.

......so the nice older gentleman at 24 hour fitness that teaches me to stretch and relieves a massive amount of pain in my back is actually the dark lord in disguise? You realize how moronic that sounds right? I'll let you know if it begins to delve into the realms of the satanic, and I assure you I'll exit the gym."

He wasn't amused. His back hurts a lot still. Mine doesn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit