Have the Governing Body caught themselves out in a lie?

by slimboyfat 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

All sorts of suspected deception going on surrounding the cutbacks and the reasons for them. But hard to pin down a direct falsehood. Sure, they initially said they were reducing the magazines so the brothers had less to read, then later said it was to save money. But I suppose they could say it was both, and just about get away with it.

However I think there is a more fundamental example of two different statements that can't easily be reconciled.

In the May broadcast (from about 17 minutes) Stephen Lett made the statement that the reason for a projected deficit next year was that the financial needs have accelerated unlike at any time in the recent past. And the reason for acceleration was that they planned to build 3000 Kingdom Halls every year going forward instead of 2000 as in the last few years.

Yet a few months later they announced that building work would be scaled back rather than accelerated.

If the first statement was true, that the projected deficit was a result of the projected increased in construction, then the later halt in construction should logically prevent the deficit.

Yet Herd made two announcements of further cutbacks on bethelite numbers and printing on top of construction.

Conclusion: this would seem to imply that Lett was not being entirely truthful in May when he claimed that the projected deficit was a result of planned increases in construction. The fact that the cutbacks go much further than simply reducing the amount of construction planned shows that the deficit is larger than he intimated at that time and caused by day to day running rather than future expansion of Kingdom Hall construction.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    While I suspect you're entirely correct, there's enough other explanations that you won't get a JW to accept that it was a lie. They could've been caught off guard by some large expense at warwick or elsewhere, or their projections could've been way off. I am, however, having trouble coming up with an explanation that doesn't at the very least make them incompetent. Certainly all this shows that they're neither faithful nor discrete.
  • sir82
    sir82
    Another possibility is that something unexpected and nearly catastrophic occurred some time shortly after the May broadcast was recorded, which affected their financial outlook and the cutbacks are a panicked and/or desperate response.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    sir82 you're a shameless semi-apologist!
  • sir82
    sir82

I'm not trying to defend them!

I just think there are other possibilities besides "deception".

Although, given their track record, "deception" would not surprise me at all.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That was a joke. Seriously, I'm wasted on this crowd.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/120477/am-semi-apologist

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Bingo SBF thou hast them bang to rights, guvnor.
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

Could it be that the grossly miscalculated the cost of moving from a printing-based operation (which the knew he ins and outs and were fairly efficient with) to a full multimedia production based enterprise?

Eden

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I think the big reason is that donations are drying up. This could be a combination of different convergent things. JWs are poor, the few who are getting baptized from "the world" are also poor. This equals less money per publisher coming in. You also have a shrinking group of old timers who would religiously give money ever month. The younger crowd is 1: not as disciplined 2: poor money managers 3: more likely to use the $20 in their pocket for a double frap soy latte 4: Then you have other factors like the continued flow of changes causes confusion in the ranks, making it a little less likely to give up hard earned money - stupid things like cart witnessing produces lots of unproductive hours in service, with just about no chance for donations - and every hall having to buy giant TV's, computers, video equipment and so on diverts the money going to the big house.

What do you think?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think they miscalculated over the so-called Kingdom Hall loan cancellation. They thought it would mean the brothers would donate more. Instead brothers took them at their word, the loans are forgotten, and have contributed much less.

Combine that with lawsuits and unexpected expenses at Walkhill and you got a recipe for existential panic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit