May 21, 2016 TO ALL CONGREGATIONS Re: Annual Items for 2017

by wifibandit 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

I can understand how I might not find agreement with others, and I totally respect that.

But I promise you, if I had suggested back in the 1970s or around 1985 when we who were in "the Society," as we called it back then, would see a day when our very own Bible society would stop producing printed materials or to merely suggest that it might happen would have been a quick path to disfellowshipping.

Revelation 9:10 was viewed as a prophecy that was interpreted how we would leave our literature behind with "stinging" messages. And the trumpet blasts and woes of Revelation were directly tied to the printing of specific books and publications that were printed. The blue "Truth" book, being described in the Guiness World Book of records as one of the most highly printed and allegedly distributed books in history was considered a proof that Jehovah God was behind the work. We even used to say that more people had a "Truth" book than owned a copy of Gone With the Wind! Better the Bible be false than we ever stop producing God's life saving message!

I was there when the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society held its 100th anniversary (and the speaker there announced, "We will never hold another 100 years anniversary" to a crowd that laughed and cheered in applause because we knew back then that we were so close to the end back in the 1980s.) It was all about printing actual books back then becuase, well, that's what Bible societies do. They are printing houses.

What is this I hear? No calendar? Have people use e-books and don't order bound volumes? When I was "in the Truth," not ordering and owning bound volumes was a sign that you were not a diligent student of God's Word, that you were spiritually weak and sickly. We even had reminders that taught us the importance of ordering our bound volumes. Even when the first CD ROM WT library came out and we had the NWT (on floppy disks that we had to load onto out hard drives), we were told not to use the computer over the printed publications or substitute looking up Scriptures with a PC for direct handling of a printed Bible.

We used to hold assemblies in a complex that would also hold the Worldwide Church of God's assemblies simultaneously. I was a JW when Armstrong died. Jesus was supposed to return before his death and their concept of an earthly paradise "World Tomorrow" was supposed to come before their leader passed away. I was there watching them assemble even after his death, as they stayed strong at first--and extremely cash rich--and then suddenly it was gone. Millions upon millions, instantly, dried up. And the WCG flock scattered and dwindled.

The writing is always on the wall before the empire falls, always. No more printing is a symptom that something obviously is very, very wrong. A Bible and tract society prints literature, like the United Bible Societies do. Just grinding out electronic information in a world that still uses printed books, especially when it comes to religion, is a death knoll. Bible societies older than the Watchtower still exist and print more than ever today.

Regardless of how much money they got on hand, it obviously isn't enough. Their Bible society is now a ghost. A publishing house that doesn't print books isn't a publishing house.

It looked just like this for the WCG right after Armstrong died. Cash still was coming in, their Ambassador College was still cranking away. Then when their brains caught up with the reality that their promised paradise earth, their "World Tomorrow" really had not come before Armstrong died, it was over like a lightning bolt's flash.

Yep, the Euphrates has run dry. But it turns out that Babylon is not Christendom. The river no longer providing is the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. The presses are halting, the books are practically nonexistent. That society was their lifeline. Once rivers dry up, thirst and famine set in.

Doubt what I say, but from where I stood over three decades ago, this is a dried skeleton beyond raising. Turn off the lights, the party is over!

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

One more thing, with Russian Witnesses facing liquidation, with lawsuits from child abuse cases, the cost of finishing new headquarters and daily operating costs, how long do you think the money from selling DUMBO and other properties will last?

Where will the funds come from once the money from the sales dry up? The current Witnesses, a group of people who are mostly blue collar workers? From poor countries like Mexico or war torn provinces in Africa or from Witnesses in South America? Witness don't tithe, and if they did, where would JWs get the money? Their part-time, no-college-education jobs?

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society was their money. Remember, the original pioneers were called "colporteurs," a word which refers to an employee of a Bible society, a Bible seller.

No more books, no more Bible and Tract Society. No more Bible and Tract Society, no more money.

Who will give them the money then? Jehovah? He hasn't so far. He didn't keep them from having to ask for it on the new streaming TV show.

• pixel
    pixel
    I'm I missing something? Where does it says they will not print the calendar?
  • millie210
    millie210

David_Jay I have to say that you make some logical and compelling points.

I do have one question though....what if they are not printing the volumes anymore because they dont want the accountability in print? There have been numerous examples here of where they have gone back and changed wording. What if that is a strong reason for no bound volumes in hard copy?

As for the other literature, are they still going to print anything? Bibles for instance?

• sir82
    sir82

I'm I missing something? Where does it says they will not print the calendar?

End of the 2nd paragraph:

Please note that the Calendar of Jehovah’s Witnesses will no longer be produced.
  • prologos
    prologos
    snowbird: "Requesting printed bound volumes is discouraged. bound volumes were always interesting, as the wording was often changed from the original magazines to correct errors, even in doctrine. wt must hate any paper records they have left, and do not want to leave any in bound volumes, even if revised, if they can avoid it. right millie!
  • Londo111
    Londo111

No more calendar? This was clearly prophesied!

"And the angel which I saw standing upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his right hand to heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created the heaven and the things that are therein, and the earth and the things that are therein, and the sea and the things that are therein, that there shall be time no longer"--Revelation 10:6

Where's Lars when you need him?

• sir82
    sir82

Where's Lars when you need him?

Undoubtedly conversing with the Apostle John between dumpster dives.

• pixel
    pixel
    Thanks Sir82.
  • LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

DAVID JAY:

I hope you are right and you probably are to a large extent. You made many good points. The religion has HAD it and is reinventing itself into something so simple that the old time JWs would be turning in their graves!

Even if it WAS over though, many hardcore Witnesses would never accept it and might even meet on their own. I don't think they are going to give up so easily!

It is truly the end of an era when the religion stops printing its famous calendar!  I never cared for it even while I was still in!  I remember tearing one up because it looked like something from the days of PT Barnum. Thought it was inappropriate and insulting. Never wanted one again!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit