by Iamallcool 18 Replies latest social current

• Iamallcool
  • zagor
    zagor

RIP.

• Iamallcool
  • flipper
    flipper

What a loss indeed. This man stood up to the United States government in the 1960's when it took real balls to do so. Stripped of his heavyweight title for being a conscientious objector for refusing to fight in the Vietnam war which he disagreed with he fought all the way to the Supreme court and had his conviction overturned and came back to be one of the- if not the greatest boxer ever.

This guy was a class act- a showman from the beginning who knew how to work a crowd. His rope-a-dope tactics in the ring causing other boxers to wear themselves out trying to hit him ; and then at the right time he'd nail them with that vicious left hook - game and bout over.

The world has lost a true gentleman who fought for justice and equality. Condolences to his family. Sincerely, mr. Flipper

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

DID you know...?

When Cassius Clay became Muhammed Ali and refused to comply with the US Draft, his case was presented to the Supreme Court by the famous alcoholic Hayden Covington, who established the rights of JW book-sellers to be considered "ministers."

I personally benefitted from Covington's work (indirectly), yet I would rather he (and I) had never been born.

• jhine
    jhine

So sad

Jan

• smiddy
    smiddy

RIP Cassius Clay / Muhammad Ali .

Their was a classic moment on Australian TV when Bert Newton called him " boy"

smiddy

• cantleave
    cantleave

Legend - RIP

• St George of England
    St George of England

Very sad, not so old.

Great clip from Parkinson & Freddie Starr:-

https://youtu.be/xqr_FtlJEcg

George

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

RIP Muhammad Ali aka Cassius Clay.

You were a great fighter who accomplished much in life. You did indeed fight racism when racism and inequality were rife in America. You were a generous person who cared about others, particularly those who were oppressed. For these things and many others, you deserve much respect.

I think it inappropriate to discuss your flaws as a person and boxer on this thread.

You will be much missed. I hope your family get the support they need through this difficult time.

RIP Champ.

PS "not so old" - he was 74. He had his three score years and ten, plus a bonus of four years. Not bad going for an ex-pugilist.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit