Just invited to a zoom memorial.

by Overrated 25 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

Should you respond to a used car salesman? Enjoy your jalopy!

• minimus
    minimus

Exactly what is the procedure for a zoom memorial

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

My mom sent me an invite through messenger. I have been going back and forth as to how or if to respond. I had a great idea of responding with a clip someone recorded of me preaching about the wheat and weeds parable, but my husband said it was aggressive, so I have opted for no response. It isn't as fun, though!

• carla
    carla

Well, seeing as their thing is tomorrow that leaves time for her to join you at an Easter service at a church next week! Sounds fair.

Probably ignore it and keep that can of worms closed.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I received the Zoom Memorial invite from my PIMI sister via a text message. I actually considered viewing it because it has been 15 years since I left that congregation, a congregation that turned its back on my family and I before we faded. I wanted them to see how happy I am now.

Then I re-read the text. I immediately realized that it was a canned scripted text. So, my own sister couldn't even personally invite me. Worse, it was an invite to me and me alone. Not my whole family.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I to got a phone call from an elder inviting me to the memorial. I really wanted to give him a piece of my mind, and then I thought of the possibilities if I did. I was polite and thanked him for the call, and then went really quiet. The call was all over in less than 2 minutes. Hopefully I’ll never hear from him again. I thought about blocking his number, but then decided not to, just in case I had to get hold of him in the case of my elderly father.

• Simon
    Simon
    If there's one thing I've learned from this forum, it's that it takes an enormous amount of time and effort to convince someone of "X" when they are entrenched in their belief in "Y", no matter how logical or reasonable "X" is or how wackadoodle "Y" is..

I think it's a Mark Twain quote that "it's easier to fool a man than to convince him he's been fooled"

People don't like to admit that they were wrong or foolish, especially when there is so much "sunk cost" invested.

It's why prophetic failures create more adherent believers.

• dozy
    dozy

Always hard to know how to respond ( if at all. ) Maybe just say thanks for the invitation - hope the family are well. Or something like that. I guess it depends on how close your relationship is with your sister ( I'm guessing it isn't great , like most of us who have JW family. )

• Overrated
    Overrated

More an likely making "service hours" for that time of year. I think I'll just ignore it. Talking to them goes no where. They would have to see the bullshit on their own like I did.

• waton
    waton
    Well, seeing as their thing is tomorrow that leaves time for her to join you at an Easter service at a church next week! Sounds fair.

c : Yea, a full slate of celebrations, first the death and then the resurrection. At least the death is proven, no 2000 year perfect men around, -- yet.

I would make the best of it, doing the thing the way it was meant to be, in private, under the full moon in east, in the springtime. a glass of wine, with a mild appetizer.

They might even deliver the crackers if you ask.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit