Clapping and singing in Conventions... like the evangelicals??

by ILoveTTATT2 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

If your a man of Caucasian race

and have hair upon your face,

you're not valued in our lovely Kingdom Hall.

We say we care about your heart,

but you too must look the part,

before you can become God's friend.

• Spiral
    Spiral
    Pete Zahut

I think it's a nice change myself and it would have been nice if things were this way for those of us who grew up as JW's. The only thing that bothers me is that they used to say this kind of thing was inappropriate and they could show you scriptures to show the importance of being "serious minded" and "reverent" in our worship to Jehovah.

It also bothers me that they make these changes but never apologize for having spoiled our fun and for condemning other religions for doing this very thing. They never even mention the fact that these things were frowned upon in the past.

LIke so much of my life as a JW in the past, it's as if it never happened....never even mattered.

I could not agree more! Outpourings of "spirit" were looked down upon by the JWs in the 60s and 70s, I remember many people thought the Pentecostals were demonized. ANYTHING you could think of to brighten up the meeting was forbidden.

I remember when it was decided all weddings could only have (canned) kingdom songs played, ugh, it was just so sad. Also any kind of larger party (say, a costume or themed party) also became forbidden. A large group was over 10 people (in some elders' minds). Things just got so depressing.

BUT - the JWs were so smug and superior, being so much better than those other churches. And having anything on TV was also straight from Satan, JWs were above that.

And now, it's as if it never happened.

@PeteZaHut, but why do you think the JWs in the 40 plus age group don't see the irony of it all? (I know why, but still!)

• sparky1
    sparky1

'Those Jehovah bastards are stealing even more of our good ideas!'

• tiki
    tiki

I'm just so glad I'm not part of that circus anymore....its become intolerably stupid.

• Reazon22
    Reazon22

Just wanted to chime in because I thought I was delusional. First let's the start with singing and clapping during the songs. I remember asking these questions when I was younger and I got this answer from MANY individuals

1. We have to be careful of music because even tho the beat and rhythm is nice we must consider the origin! Foundation is very important and we're not like the other religions of the world.

2. Jehovah is an organized God. Its inappropriate and shows disrespect to the most high. Younger me says yeah that does make sense! Hypocrites I tell you!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It`s all Bullshit.

JW`s go along with what ever the WBT$ says, regardless of what the WBT$ has taught in the past.(Like even yesterday.)

If the WBT$ suddenly approved Christmas, Blood Transfusions, Military Service, ECT..Ect..ect.

JW`s wouldn`t bat an eye.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

@PeteZaHut, but why do you think the JWs in the 40 plus age group don't see the irony of it all? (I know why, but still!)

I think it's a case of not seeing the forest for the trees (or a case of not wanting to see it)

It's like aging or seeing a child grow. You only notice the difference in the person when you've been away from them for a time. We are seeing these changes from a distance, for current JW's the changes have been subtle enough and gradual enough and (fun enough) that the ones who are in it for social reasons or other non fact based reasons, have drifted into them somewhat seamlessly.

• Ray Frankz
    Ray Frankz
    That may explain his near disappearance...

Wow, didn't have this thought. It can very well be true.

• Ray Frankz
    Ray Frankz

I'm hating myself for being bothered for something that isn't against my principles. But the reason that I and others are this is mainly because we were told this was unthinkable 10 years ago.

Also, because my tiny hope that the GB would change something about the protecionism is shrinking as they are even more looking like evengelicals in their procedures, but the important things they should copy they don't even look at ( disfellowshipping, only true religion, two classes of christians etc.)

There's something interesting about this issue on the songs that is similar to what happened here in Brazil. Here all the evangelicals have the custom of saying "peace of the Lord" to other evangelicals as a greeting. There's obviously nothing wrong in this but just because this was a "mark" of the evangelicals we were severely but indirectly reprimed from doing so.

Well, after that I don't know anymore.

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

I must make clear that the second video is NOT showing JW's... it's just as a comparison to other evangelicals... in Chile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit