The fade did not work

by BeautifulMind 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• losingit
    losingit

I remember when I started waking up on my own.... I went to the District Convention with an armful of readings from my graduate school class, and I was determined not to fall behind just because I was at the Convention. It was such a terrible experience because my husband thought I was being so disrespectful and the people around me were just sneering at me! I mean, c'mon-- what of worth is said during the Convention? And how much of it is non-stop repetition? I was DONE, DONE, DONE. I didn't really know, though, that I was "waking up." I just couldn't take the BS anymore!

It's true, the weekends are so sweet now. I remember when I first started purposely NOT going out in service on Saturdays. Before I had excuses, but then I decided that I wouldn't even make up these excuses for myself. I wanted to stay in with the girls and sleep, watch TV, make a big breakfast. I didn't want to think about the excuses, coming up with a list of them. I just wanted to give my children a typical Saturday morning, and I did! We watched Qubo TV children's programming, ate French Toast and eggs, played outside in the backyard.

Now, the simple beauty of weekends is kinda sorta fading. I guess because I am so exhausted from work now. But, I still try to enjoy the outdoors with the girls. They have Cross Country and soccer games. We have chili and soup and all types of yumminess to eat on the weekends. We bake and wash clothes. It feels *normal*. It's nice.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I salute you. I started my fade with missing every other meeting and got down to sunday public talk then stopped.

Took them ages to realize I probably wasn't coming back.

Now I could not imagine sitting through that fuckery...oops ... huhmm... I mean fakery.

I think there is a danger with a really slow fade to become accustomed to it...even addicted to the double life thing. Then you become a perpetual fader and I didn't want that.

Good for you for drawing your line.

• Olivia Wilde
    Olivia Wilde
    I started to fade slowly about a few weeks ago, started with not going out in service 6 months ago, then recently stop going to the MS meeting because that whole meeting is about "recruiting people" people out in service, which I don't do anyways... I have a harder time sitting thru the watchtower study. Everything is the same, last days, Armageddon around the corner, teaching others about the WT, how to do more, can we do more??, teaching our children abt the WT, don't venture into things that will take you away from mts, service, etc....plus they continuously talk about Jesus presence since 1914 and how he chose this channel and must stay close to his "organization" to gain salvation... So I am down to only the public talk and that too is tied into service, meetings and doing more!.... The only thing I will miss is not finding an excuse for a new skirt or new dress for a coming convention!! jajajajaja
  • Sabin
    Sabin

Beautifulmind, There is no love in that religion at all & what's worse they are out of touch with reality & what life is all about.

You are so right, the thing is with JW is they live with box's. Everything is in some kind of box, there's the jw box & the worldly box. You go to field service group & your in a box inside the big jw box, the Reg pioneer box, Aux pioneer box, elder box, ms box etc. Then you go out God bothering & put all the ones in the big worldly box into their own little box's. The catholic box, atheist box, evolutionist box & so on. Then if they respond you put them in to yet another box, R.V box, mag box, study box with the hope you will get them out of the worldly box & into the JW box. Hell that's a lot of box's. That is why when you listen to them & they are in the cult mode they have a personality like cardboard. They are talking to box's there is no personal interest from some-one like that, they dont know how to talk to a PERSON. If your some-one who doesn't want to live life in a box your Fu.....ed, no choice but to walk..

• done4good
    done4good

Sure it did. You are out!

Those that fake it are not "fading" usually...they are double-lifers.

d4g

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I recently had a young woman contact me through one of my websites. She had been studying with a older JW lady and was a bit conflicted as to whether to join. She told me that the JW woman was telling her that if she didn't start attending meetings that she would stop studying with her. This was after just a few weeks. She wasn't quite sure what "ex-JW" meant in the grand scheme of things but came to me to see if I could help her understand what was and would be happening if she got more involved.

I won't go into all the details of what I shared with her. But I described how book studies and going to public talks, Watchtower Studies, Ministry School and Service Meetings were like 50 years ago. I let her know that in those days we could really comment, using our own words and ideas. In those years the brothers used outlines, but prepared their own talks. I described how we would meet at someone's house on a Tuesday evening and would all hug and chat and share a cup of tea and then sit down and study a chapter in one of our books. Then, after the study we'd chat some more, share a little gossip, maybe have a cup of coffee, and then go home in time to watch a couple of shows on the TV before bed.

But now Book Studies are gone forever (they were the best and most relaxed of all the meetings.) Ministry School has been laughable for years. None of the brothers do their own research or prepare their own talks and aren't allowed to vary at all.

Soon everyone will just open up their iPods and then listen word for word what they have already read and studied before hand and are reading again. No one sticks around after meetings, mostly because in most locations another congregation will be coming in behind you within the next half hour.

So I continued to explain "love-bombing." How everyone will come up and greet a new person, but look around and you will see everyone either heading for the door or just mixing with their closest friends. It told her to listen to the mind-numbing prayers before and after and try to make sense of the songs. I asked her if she thought God would even spend a couple of seconds listening to such stilted, repetitive and uninspired prayers.

I could go on - but you get the idea. I did not discourage her from going - in fact, I encouraged her to go and decide for herself if that was something she wanted to do two nights a week for the rest of her life.

A few days ago she emailed me to report what had happened. She asked me how long it had been since I attended a meeting? I responded back that it was at a Memorial 3 or 4 years ago at a KH I had never attended before.

She wrote me back and said that I had nailed it. She described the cliques, the prayers, the stilted way the brothers gave their talks. She told me that knowing that I was an ex-JW that she was a little dubious at first - but afterward she realized that everything I described was happening right in front of her. She told me that she was just off the phone with the sister who had been studying with her. She told the sister that she would not be interested in any more studies.

Can you guess what the sister's response was? Yep...

She wanted to know if the young woman had been talking to or reading websites by apostates? She wanted to know who had gotten to her and changed her mind. The answer she got was along these lines: "What you described about the meetings made me think that I would love being there. But I was told that the meetings would actually be quite boring, featuring long meaningless prayers, stilted speaking styles, insincere encouragement. And that's what I actually saw when I went. I can't do that every week for the rest of my life. I'm glad I was warned ahead of time. I have no desire to ever go again."

Another soul saved...

JV

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Straddling the fence does your head in.

The ones in the cong don't really want a "slack inactive" one there anyway...so why go along for show?

• pbrow
    pbrow

Congrats!!!

Give those toddlers a normal life!! As a fellow born in you know how destructive the cult mindset is. I left when my kids were about the same age. They are teens now and have very healty active lives. You are giving them a priceless gift by leaving!

Awesome... I am very happy for you

pbrow

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, we left when ours were just born.

You just can't do that to your kids.

Instead they grew up normal and well adjusted, kind and thoughtful,

• pbrow
    pbrow

Simon,

I am in complete agreement with you. If you want normal kids you cannot fade. The mindset of a JW poisons EVERYTHING. It is an incredible thing to realize that your children will never have to go through what we went through as born ins.

Get out now, cleanly and your kids will thank you for it.

pbrow

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit