A frothy question ABOUT DEMONS

by Terry 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Have you ever been to a Circus and seen a "Clown Car"?

The little "bug" Volkswagon drives out and clowns get out. Lots and lots and lots and lots of Clowns!

Do you have that image in your mind?

Okay--why is it in the New Testament a Legion of demons cram into one person?

5,000 men made up a Roman Legion!

1. Why so many (5000?) clown demons packed into one demon-possessed person?

2. What size is a demon, anyway?

3. Is it comfortable to be crammed into some idiot?

4. When Jesus "cast out" the demons into the herd of swine . . . the swine drowned in the sea. Now what? Were they trapped under water?

Can demons swim? Do demons have to "fit" into any life form? Do they get stuck?

So, you see--I have too much time on my hands. However, if we're supposed to take these things seriously, shouldn't they make some kind of real sense?

Yes, I must confess, these are actually rhetorical questions.

I do like to QUESTION the basic premise of things we have swallowed whole (gulping down the camel, so to speak.)

If you read the entire Hebrew Bible you don't find Satan described as the sort of demon found regularly in the Christian Bible. I mean, Satan was STILL IN HEAVEN and not Disfellowshipped by Jehovah. So, something is awry here . . .

As an afterthought, I'll add one last tiny query.

"Why bother destroying wicked mankind in the days of Noah and then NOT having a Day of Judgment immediately afterward?

Isn't that stupid? By allowing humans to continue to breed sinful offspring, inevitably the world is right back where it was before the flood.
    Why have TWO ARMAGEDDONS?

The flood was BEFORE the law of Moses. Mankind had NOT been condemned by the Law, so there was no need for Jesus to live up to and fulfill the law.

Seems screwy to me--but what do I know? I'm no Theologian.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Why have 2 Armageddons. Simple. Its a control tactic JWs use for fear and obedience!!!!!
  • Terry
    Terry

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-similarities-between-the-biblical-story-of-Samson-and-the-Greek-myth-of-Heracles

A man wants to have sex with his wife after returning from a long trip away from home.

His father-in-law tells him something which enrages this returned husband.

The family had thought he wasn't coming back and had deserted the wife. As a consequence, she had been given to

another man: a Philistine!

This triggers an unprecedented rage in the sociopath husband.

The stage has been set for what he considers "payback."

JUDGES CHAPTER 15:

14 When he came to Le′hi, the Phi·lis′tines shouted triumphantly at meeting him. Then Jehovah’s spirit empowered him,+ and the ropes on his arms became like linen threads that were scorched with fire, and his fetters melted off his hands.+ 15 He now found a fresh jawbone of a male donkey; he reached out and grabbed it and struck down 1,000 men with it.+ 16 Then Samson said: “With the jawbone of a donkey—one heap, two heaps! With the jawbone of a donkey I struck down 1,000 men.”+

(NWT @ JW.org)

Who in their right mind would regard this account as even minimally feasible?

Bruce Lee took on a dozen men (who were courteous enough to attack him by one's and two's) and defeated them in his Chinese films.

But, armed Philistines numbering 1,000 could not have been defeated even if they had lined

up to be killed (which they wouldn't have done.)

Isn't this incredible biographical account of Samson really a thin plagiarism of the Labors of Hercules?

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Hi Terry,

I like the clown car analogy. I never thought that demonic possession could be funny but there you go.

Image result for clown car exit simpsons

I wonder if L Ron Hubbard's Scientology doctrine of Body Thetans has its origins in the Biblical account? Supposedly you can have thousands of infestations at once.

It certainly is something that Horror films have used on many occasions. When the devout exorcist asks the person possessed what the name is of the demon possessing them, I have heard the response on more than one film or tv show: "We are legion." I think its sort of a cool horror idea.

Practically though how do the demons work together? Do they cooperate like a hive mind or does one demon get the left ear, another the right foot and yet another the pancreas and so on?

Deep matters to consider.

• Terry
    Terry

There is a line in the play/film INHERIT THE WIND where the evangelist who is testifying as an expert on the Bible is asked a series of practical questions about Bible stories which the theologian is unable to answer.

The Bible expert says, "I don't think about those things."

The defense attorney replies, "Do you ever think about the things you DO think about?"

I think this applies to all the silly, illogical, irrational, nonsensical things we TOTALLY ACCEPTED as true when we were J-Dubs.
    Why don't we give ourselves permission to ask common sense questions and then
    come to accept the fact they are UNanswerable with common sense answers.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Those ancient Hebrews sure could bullshit couldn't they, particularly when they wanted to create power and relevance to their god or a person of their select tribe ?

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Since demons are basically just angels with a bad attitude, I think the theological debating of 'how many angels can dance on the head of a pin' might give valuable clues...

Ehh, sorry, had some nice Belgian beers. What was the question again? :-D

• Terry
    Terry
    I've participated in belchin' beers myself!
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

How many demons can dance on the head of a pin? No clue.

But it could be that what demons need to experience the thrills/lusts/release of anxiety etc. is a body...aligned with a willing mind, at least initially.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer
    Why have TWO ARMAGEDDONS?

Don't forget the third one...after the end of the 1,000 year reign in the "Paradise". Gotta take care of those headband-wearing hippies once and for all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit