Nebuchadnezzar's 37th year matches the year 588 or 568 BC?

by Vanderhoven7 150 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scholar
    scholar

Vidqun

Scholar, I have comprehensive libraries at my disposal (Logos, Libronix, BibleWorks, the Online Bible, etc.). If I do not have access to an article, I have a huge University Theology library not too far away.

But coming back to the subject at hand, I am thankful that I am not trapped in JW theology anymore. In my pursuit of truth, I now I have the freedom to study all of the above articles at leisure, without the criticism or negative influence of Big brother. See footnote "Devastations vs. reproach."

Hopefully Rolf Furuli will realize that he is now free to pursue his academic interests without the shackles of the Watchtower to drag him down. For years and years he has been trapped in the Freddy Franz mindset. And as has been said repeatedly, his articles and books have been reviewed by his peers and found wanting.

It seems you have the same problem. You should try to break free. It's exhilarating, as though one is discovering a new world. The indoctrination of the Watchtower is harmful to academic research. It forces one in a specific direction and keeps one's intellectual curiosity stunted. The truth is above all of that. Why do you think they vehemently oppose tertiary education?

If you think you have the truth, put it to the test. E.g., compare Biblical chronology of the last days of Judah to Babylonian chronology. There is minor differences that has to do with the regnal and ascension years, but easily explained if you work out what system was followed. It is not necessary to discredit the scribes because you don't like the contents of their tablets. There is no reason why they should falsify the tablets. There are many reasons why the Society would like to discredit them.

---

I have studied Biblical Chronology for many decades, have a large collection of books on Chronology and copies of relevant Journal articles and had to defend WT chronology against criticism of our Chronology by SDA' scholars here in Australia. It was in this country that the first critics of WT chronology emerged beginning from the fifties through to the sixties so I am well acquainted with the subject. Further, I am well acquainted with theological libraries such as the Moore College Theological library in Sydney which is adjacent to the University of Sydney -Fisher library and I used to haunt such places over many years whilst pioneering in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney.

In fact, it is I who along with an SDA scholar from the SDA Theological Seminary at Cooranbong, NSW arranged for the first translation from German into English of the VAT 4956 within international scholarship. So as with Furuli I have long demonstrated my credentials as an independent thinker and scholar.

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Sounds like a decline into ‘JCanon/Larsinger’ mentality. 😒 SDA theology is equally nuts (JW’s Adventist cousins really, given their common origins) so not keeping good company even without the JW rules about ‘bad association’. Somewhat enlightening about your pathology though.

All that effort and still doggedly clinging to JW propaganda.

Tell us, oh great scholar, how attention was given to the Jews’ return after the Jews had already returned (as is required by the JW interpretation of Jeremiah 29:10-14). 🤣

• scholar
    scholar

Vidqun

I wish to advise you that I have the following in my theological library:

The Gentile Times Reconsidered, Carl Olaf Jonsson, Second Edition, 1986, Commentary Press

Supplement to The Gentile Times Reconsidered -Refutation of Criticism and Additional Evidence, Carl Olaf Jonsson, 1989, Odeon Books, Danville, USA

The Gentile Times Reconsidered - Chronology and Christ's Return, Carl Olaf Jonsson, Third Edition-Revised and Expanded, 1998, Commentary Press. This copy is autographed by the author.

The Gentile Times Reconsidered - Chronology and Christ's Return, Carl Olaf Jonsson, Fourth Edition Revised and Expanded, 2004, Commentary Press, Atlanta

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

scholar:

I wish to advise you that I have the following in my theological library:

Who cares what you ‘have in your library’. You’re still wrong.

• johnamos
    johnamos

scholar:

The fact is simply that the 70 years ended not with the Fall of Babylon in 539 BCE but only with the Return of the Jews in 537 BCE with the ist year of Cyrus.

Well maybe you should tell Jehovah about that fact. He said that he was going to call Babylon to account WHEN THOSE 70 YEARS WERE FULFILLED...and the WTS states that happen in 539.

[Jeremiah 25: 11 And all this land will be reduced to ruins and will become an object of horror, and these nations will have to serve the king of Babylon for 70 years.12 ‘But when 70 years have been fulfilled, I will call to account the king of Babylon and that nation for their error,’ declares Jehovah,]

[8-1-81 WT p. 27-28 – “The idol-worshiping Babylonians now were in line for God’s judgment to be executed upon them. That happened in 539 B.C.E. when Babylon was overthrown by the Medes and the Persians.”]

[11-15-98 WT – We know that Jehovah is the Great Timekeeper, and we have confidence that he never fails to fulfill his purposes at his appointed time.]

• scholar
    scholar

Jeffro

Who cares what you ‘have in your library’. You’re still wrong.

--

I care because I want to know unlike you what I am talking about

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

johnamos

Well maybe you should tell Jehovah about that fact. He said that he was going to call Babylon to account WHEN THOSE 70 YEARS WERE FULFILLED...and the WTS states that happen in 539.

[Jeremiah 25: 11 And all this land will be reduced to ruins and will become an object of horror, and these nations will have to serve the king of Babylon for 70 years.12 ‘But when 70 years have been fulfilled, I will call to account the king of Babylon and that nation for their error,’ declares Jehovah,]

[8-1-81 WT p. 27-28 – “The idol-worshiping Babylonians now were in line for God’s judgment to be executed upon them. That happened in 539 B.C.E. when Babylon was overthrown by the Medes and the Persians.”]

[11-15-98 WT – We know that Jehovah is the Great Timekeeper, and we have confidence that he never fails to fulfill his purposes at his appointed time

--

Indeed I have done that as you have requested by listening and reading His Word, the Bible and it tells me in Jeremiah 25:12 that only when the 70 years have been fulfilled would judgement against Babylon proceed and not before. Also. Daniel who quoted Jeremiah states in Daniel 9: 1-2 that in the first year of Darius the 70 years was yet to be fulfilled or ended and that 1 st year was after Babylon's Fall in 539 BCE. Thus there are two witnesses against your nonsense claim according to the sacred word of our great God, Jehovah.

scholar JW

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

scholar:

I care because I want to know unlike you what I am talking about

Non sequitur. Unless you’re saying that you don’t know the contents of your own library until you post it on this forum. And you reject the contents of the books you boast about having. 🤦‍♂️

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

scholar:

Indeed I have done that as you have requested by listening and reading His Word, the Bible and it tells me in Jeremiah 25:12 that only when the 70 years have been fulfilled would judgement against Babylon proceed and not before.

🤣 Your own comment demonstrates that the 70 years couldn’t have ended any later than 539 BCE when Babylon was ‘judged’. Also have to laugh at the tedious honorific capitalisation of pronouns. 😂

Also. Daniel who quoted Jeremiah states in Daniel 9: 1-2 that in the first year of Darius the 70 years was yet to be fulfilled or ended and that 1 st year was after Babylon's Fall in 539 BCE.
    Nothing about Daniel 9:1-2 suggests that the 70 years were ‘yet to be fulfilled’. Especially since by that time, Babylon had already been judged and “only when the 70 years have been fulfilled would judgement against Babylon proceed”.
  • Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

So the ending reality to what happened to Jerusalem and the surrounding area is that it was under servitude for almost 70 years by the Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar but was only laid desolate for approximately 47 +/- a couple of years after he finally destroyed much of the city including the main temple in 586 BCE, captivating much of the predominant inhabitants to Babylon.

There are we all happy now ?

The WTS's dating of Jerusalem's destruction in 607 BCE has little or no background support from various confirmed sources including the bible.

Turn the page and move on .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit