Never Thought I'd Say This, But I've Found Something to Look Forward to in the Meetings

by Sorry 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sorry
    Sorry

My therapist inspired me to start looking on the bright side.

Even though I've pretty much given up listening to the bs and usually tune out the meeting by playing on my phone/tablet, I find the local needs talk oddly fascinating. Probably because it's the only part that doesn't seem outlined to death (at least at our hall), and you truly don't know what you get. Some of the things that are complained about is quite amusing. It's been the only think I actually pay attention to. Some examples:

First Week: Gated Communities. "While they seem like a reasonable solution to the rising crime rate, they're simply the world's false security blanket. A gate has never stopped a criminal from breaking in before, so it's naive to think living in such a place will make any difference in your safety. That's the naive thinking the world exhibits. Rather silly to invest in a barrier that's not going to solve crime." Threw out random Scripture about anxiety and worrying. "No matter where you live, Jehovah will look out for you."

Next Week: Show-Offy Hats. "It's been brought to our attention that certain friends have taken to wearing big hats with flashy designs and additions. While we wouldn't want to infringe on your fashion choices, we want to remind you that Jehovah promotes a modest standard of dress." Read modesty and soundness of mind Scripture. "Would wearing a hat with so many extra props be modest, or attention seeking? Remember last week's Watchtower Study on humility. Goes hand and hand with modesty."

Next Week After: Posting Weight-Loss Results on Social Media. "It's also been brought to our attention that several friends have been sharing their bodies on platforms such as Facebook. The Bible promotes a healthy lifestyle, but posting these photos lacks modesty and humility like those hats. You must ask yourself, are they focused on my weight loss or something else? We represent Jehovah all the time. Don't bring reproach on his name.

Last Week: Filling Front Rows. "We all share the same enthusiasm for spiritual food. So, we would think more of you would like to get a front row seat to the talk. There's no rule for sitting, but it does pose a problem whenever the backroom is filled when there's perfectly good seats up front."

I pitch into a fit on giggles thinking about some of the ridiculous things said. My parents have noticed I'm a bit more cheerful on Wednesday nights, and it has helped resolve some of the tension that has been present since I've been awake. Hopefully, this "brightside" mentality will help keep me sane.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Listen to your therapist.

Blessings.

Sylvia

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

.......... Or

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

That was awesome! Well written summaries of the crazy. Thanks for that. It lightened a tough day for me and made me laugh. I'm sorry you're stuck for now, but sometimes laughter is truly the best medicine.

• zeb
    zeb

front row seats.. eeww no one wants to sit near the 'teacher'.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

A gate has never stopped a criminal from breaking in before, so it's naive to think living in such a place will make any difference in your safety.

LoL! I love the local needs part because of nuggets like these.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    A gate has never stopped a criminal from breaking in before, so it's naive to think living in such a place will make any difference in your safety. That's the naive thinking the world exhibits. Rather silly to invest in a barrier that's not going to solve crime."

Where I live almost all Kingdom Halls are "gated," having a fence all around the building. Someone has to arrive early to unlock the gate to let cars into the parking lot.

I suppose it's for a combination of reasons - to stop break-ins and to keep people away from the parking lot during non-meeting hours (skate boarders for example) where injury could cause liability issues.

"No matter where you live, Jehovah will look out for you."

If JWs really believe that, then why are KHs gated? Is this another double standard of JWs?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Well written summaries of the crazy.

Well, it gives them all something to think and worry about instead of wondering why the f*ck everyone is dying that was supposed to live forever in Panda Paradise.

Just looked outside -- Paradise ain't here yet!

• millie210
    millie210

Someone should sit on the front row wearing their hat and exercise clothes. That would be funny! Thanks for the great review Sorry,,,,very fun to read.

• steve2
    steve2

A gate has never stopped a criminal from breaking in before, so it's naive to think living in such a place will make any difference in your safety.

What idiocy. As if your average JW could even afford to live in a gated community. You should have asked this dullard, "So, by this same reasoning, should we no longer bother locking our doors or closing our windows before going out, because burglars will break in anyway?"

Also, from a practical point of view, insurance premiums are premised on how secure your property is. Premiums are generally lower in gated communities because they are generally significantly more secure than ungated communities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit