Algebra

by HappyDad 26 Replies latest jw friends

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

What the hell? It's after 4 AM here in Minnesota and my brain just won't shut down. Of all things....in the middle of the night,algebra is bugging me. I haven't thought about algebra since 1960 when I was in ninth grade. For some reason, the school system felt that algebra was something that you had to learn in order to be useful in your later life. I never was able to grasp it. My teacher had another student tutor me in this archaic mathematical crap. It didn't work! I still could not understand it.

Years later, I learned that trigonometry and geometry was very easy for me to grasp. As a journeyman machinist, trig and geometry was something I used quite often. The trade is now dead thanks to computers that figure all calculations for any idiot who can touch a button.

I was able to make a decent living with benefits without having tens of thousands of dollars in student loans. I am now retired with a somewhat decent pension and social security that I paid into for my entire working career. Not an entitlement that liberals say, but what I actually earned.

My heart aches for young people today who have to be in debt for most of their lives paying student loans for a degree that will get them a job at a fast food restaurant.

My advice...……..get your damn hands dirty and shovel shit if you have to. You will be better off becoming a plumber, carpenter, electrician, or any number of craftsmen jobs rather than falling into the trap of the useless lazy ass academia people who tell you that a degree is everything. I say BULLSHIT! They need young people to fall for their marketing in order to sit back and receive their paycheck for screwing over you. Wake up!

Have you ever used algebra in your life?

• recovering
    recovering

Yes I have used algebra. There.are.many instances.where algebra is used in the work place. Pilots use trigonometry , medical personnel use.algebra to figure.out dosages of medication, engineers use algebra as well as.many other fields.use.algebra. Is college necessary for.all.professions ? No .

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

I work in Engineering and use Algebra, Geometry, and Trigonometry all the time. And I agree, the trades are where it's at. You can make $30 and hour, have a pension, and not any debt that so called 'professionals' have. I do think the education system today fails miserably in teaching STEM. Back in the 60, 70, and 80 it was a focus. But today? I often get interns who can't do basic mathematics! They look at me like I am a genius because I can do simple problems in my head, often times faster than they can on the computer. And to be honest, I was just an average to above average student.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Doctor Who

Always nice to hear from you

I value your opinions.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

When I was in high school, Algebra was semi required class; if a student brought a signed paper from a parent they wouldn't have to take the class. My parents didn't see the need for it and thought it was a waste of time. The only thing my dad ever said about Algebra was, "Pie are not square, pie are round." That was in my freshman year in school. Then when I was a junior, I wanted to take a computer programming class but missed out on it because I would have to first take two years of Algebra.

After I graduated I attempted to learn it, but it made absolutely no sense to me. Then when my youngest son had learned it, he attempted to show me the very beginner's part of it, but still, again it is completely foreign to me. Do I feel like I missed out on knowing this? I would say yes, I missed out on a whole lot of possibilities. I'm just happy that at least that my sons both understand this subject, and it is easy for them to understand. At least they they won't be missing out.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I never had a need for Algebra ......Trying to master Algebra destroyed my basic math skills for a long period of time. This was in the 8th and 9th grade,

In my entire life time, some 76 years and counting....I haven't needed higher math....shit I am higher math.....bite me.

I have never had a need for Algebra. Nor have I ever looked into a colonoscopy scope while it's up my butt.

I'd be happy to look at a bra but that's is far as I need to go.

It's all about the basics .... Algebra has nothing to do with real life, Building something ....sure. But what's important is:

How is my family doing.

How much money was in my check book or savings account.....did we forget to pay the rent or our monthly mortgage? What about my tab at my local bar?

My income and my debts.

My tax obligations.

My investments. Up. Down or sideways....will Algebra help? Hell No!

Not running out of gas. Keeping track of State auto inspections and licenses and oil changes. No Algebra there.

Getting my teeth cleaned by a dentist who still thinks I can comment on his stupid point of view when his fingers and tools are in my mouth.

Finding floor number one.......or the ground floor..... or the Basement........ it's always different in every building. when I am in an elevator. And........ I've forgotten......... for a moment........... why I am in it. It's sometimes the simplest things and a busy mind juggling two or more things that makes you stop and review where you are and why you are there. It's the insanity of daily living and balancing obligations that can stop you in place until you sort it out. Algebra can't help.

Negotiating strange airports, shuttles and rental cars. I always start with 'Why the hell am I here?. Wheres a Bar?

I never needed Algebra to bring down a deer during hunting season. To be honest I have never shot an animal but I needed to throw a shoe at my neighbors dog.....while I was climbing over their fence....long story.

I have never had a conservation with a medical doctor, Dentist etc. that involved Algebra. Just my health issues which are complicated enough.

I have never talked to an elected State official or college professor that involved Algebra. Bribes and political correctness .......sure.

The list goes on for thousands of reasons why I don't need nor have I ever needed Algebra.

Which makes me a happy man. While I may have missed out on Algebra I have also missed out of jumping out of an airplane........... when it's not on the ground.

By the way I play competitive chess once a week...... No algebra allowed ......but cigars are ok.

My world is an algebraic free world. And I stand behind that.

• recovering
    recovering

Ah but Giordano you do not live in an algebra free world. The programs that run the computer you are using to communicate, uses algebra as a basis. The dosage of the medication you take, is calculated with the use of algebra. The whole you live in was built using trigonometry.

let me give you an example

Your Dr prescribes medication based on your body weight

He uses an equation similar to the following

x= (dosage per pound of patients body weight) = 5mg

y= Patients body weight body weight expressed as kilograms

So yx = Patients dosage

So if a patient weighs 100kg y would = 100

X = 5mg

So yx would = 500mg

Besides all the practical uses for algebra ,algebra teaches logic skills.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I went to college. I obtained 2 degrees I have 20 years in a profession. I don't think I have ever used algebra at work, but some assignments in my profession do (vehicular crash reconstruction).

My son wanted to go to college, but now wants to go to trade school. He will probably make more money than me right out of trade school. I am rather proud of that.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Is the premise of this thread a joke or what?

Rub a Dub

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Let me make a guess, you are a Trump supporter, right?

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit