JW Cultish Thoughts about RIP!

by Iamallcool 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

jw.org/

Ones who are lovers of Jehovah

dont say RIP

RIP is also pagan in origin. People said RIP to the passed loved ones so they wouldn't be tortured in their afterlife.

SAYING RIP

is to express the hope that someone's spirit finds peace ;after death

RIP is also pagan in origin.

People said RIP to the passed loved ones so they wouldn't be tortured in their afterlife.

The praying for the dead as so commonly practiced in the Roman Catholic Church is inextricably linked with the doctrine of purgatory(HELL), and the belief that their prayers can continue to be of benefit to those who have died

SAYING .

RIP is the same

Many people today say R.I.P (Rest In Peace) to someone who is dead. . .

Consider this thought I have. . .

If a true Christian say R.I.P when someone died. . . To whom exactly is he referring that to?

The dead person?

Well, the Bible says:

Ecclesiastes 9:5: For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all,

Psalm 146:4: His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground;

On that very day his thoughts perish.

If "the dead know nothing at all" and their "thoughts perish" on the very day they die . . . then why is it that people continue to talk to them by saying R.I.P?

Did you know that the conduct and views of people toward death today are influenced by a very powerful belief that the dead are really not dead but are alive and conscious somewhere?

Ecclesiastes 9:10: Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going.

Do you also say R.I.P to someone when died?

• waton
    waton

R I P wt version: resurrected in paradise

• Giordano
    Giordano
    At the end of the book of Daniel, an angel speaks of Daniel’s death, saying, “You will rest” (Daniel 12:3). And the prophet Isaiah says, “Those who walk uprightly enter into peace; they find rest as they lie in death” (Isaiah 57:2). These two passages are the closest the Bible comes to the idea behind RIP. Still, the exact words rest in peace are not used.

There's no mention that the saying is pagan.In fact most pagans looked forward to some kind of reward in the after life.

• stillin
    stillin

Why would anybody object if you hope that somebody's struggles are over and they are finally resting in peace?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

That JW stupidity is what really annoys me.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

They just have to make a big deal out of every little thing, don't they?

"Don't throw rice at weddings, it's pagan."

"Don't offer a toast, it's pagan."

"Don't say 'bless you' after someone sneezes, it's pagan."

"Almost every single celebration is a no-no because they are all pagan."

They care about so many things that literally shouldn't matter at all.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Don't say this, don't say that.

But let your children die by refusing medical treatment and shun your relatives if they don't believe the same things as you do.

= JW priorities.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

It may have its origins in the teaching of purgatory but I think it means something quite different now. The way people write in an obituary that a person died peacefully at home or in hospital. We like to think it was a 'good death' that they didn't suffer. When we hear of a death people often say on here RIP but I don't think for a minute they mean hope you're not in hell, they mean hope it was peaceful.

• snowbird
    snowbird

JW's major in what is minor.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Saying 'rest' in peace, or more often writing R.I.P after a deceased person's name, is primarily a way of showing respect to the dead person and the feelings of their relatives.

Like so much of What we do ( toasts etc) Its nothing to do with belief and everything to do with the feelings of others ie toasting the Bride and groom is just showing a shared happiness and showing you wish them well on their wedding day.

Watchtower seems to use all these micro manage behaviours to take every opportunity to make ordinary jw's feel different and put a big, rude divide between them and non jw's. Its cruel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit