The new personality

by longgone 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• longgone
    longgone

Hi everyone! I've been thinking about the changes we make within ourselves after leaving the WTS cult. I'm not referring to how we spend our time now that we actually have some, but who we have become, or working to be?

The GB carries on and on about "stripping off the old personality and putting on the new one." I personally think what they are really saying, is to become clones of their ideas of who they, the GB want us to be!

Even give up or even lose our own identity and in the case of some born-in like myself, sad to say we may not even fully formed our own. My question is for example, do you think are you more creative now, or have greater balance, losing that black and white thinking. Perhaps more adventurous, or decisive? Who are you becoming, now that you can decide for yourself?

Side note, I apologise for grammar errors, I'm working on becoming a grammar nerd myself. 😄

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

The "new personality" is the inauthentic cult personality that they want you to put on to be under their power.

I'm a far better person out of the Borg than I was in. I'm accepting, far less judgmental, loving, happy, helpful, etc. I have genuine interest in others, not just so that I can preach to them. I try to understand others instead of thinking that they need to understand what I understand from the cult that indoctrinated me. Life is amazing now. The results of the "new personality" were ugly, caused dissonance, and subsequent mental issues that all dissipated once I woke up and found freedom. The "new personality" is a prison of one's own making at the behest of the governing body of overlords.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Most people are kind, decent, and helpful.

I've become more like them since I gave up the charade of having put on the "new personality."

I like myself much better now.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, contrary to what the GB try and tell everyone, nose who leave do not adopt a wicked, selfish personality.

We actually remain the same honest hearted and kind person, BUT with a more rounded out and less self-focussed view of everything.

We now don't revel in the idea of seeing billions of people killed (including babies) just because of an accident of birth, or because they don't accept magazines from door knocking witnesses!

We actually see that life is not something that needs to "be endured" , but rather ENJOYED!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

In the mid to late 1980's, there was emphasis on The New Personality and the "Fruitage of the spirit." It was very refreshing to find such emphasis when I returned to the borg after 11 years inactivity. There was a series of articles on the fruitage of the spirit in the mags. There was a brother who would pick one of the listed fruits of the spirit and spend the month focusing on it. I thought it made me a better person, not better than others, better than myself. I thought the new personality was about the most important thing because it meant personal growth and more of the identifying mark of true Christians, love.

By the end of the 80's they stopped emphasizing it. In fact they downplayed character development and promoted more service. I kinda lost interest when it became more a game of numbers.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

"The new personality."

Isn't this similar to the accepted personality in North Korea, an openly communist state that has no tolerance for individuality? It also reminds me of when Russia was openly communist, and had no tolerance for anyone that didn't exactly conform to the Establishment or you went to the gulags. Or what is coming to America where political correctness will be enforced with microchips and thought crime will result in a trip to the gulags here, too.

Christianity and communism are the exact same thing.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The GB carries on and on about "stripping off the old personality and putting on the new one." I personally think what they are really saying, is to become clones of their ideas of who they, the GB want us to be!

We Have WBT$ Literature Carts..

WE ARE HAPPIFIED..

Image result for Robot businessman

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

The new personality that I strive for now is one of true compassion which involves giving some of my time to others in such a way that I can provide practical help. Additionally, I strive to apply logic to all of my beliefs and adjust them accordingly instead of becoming so attached to a specific concept that no amount of evidence can move me from it. Finally, I also try to be more open minded and tolerant towards any idea or lifestyle which does not negatively impact the well-being or liberty of others.

• smiddy
    smiddy

From my experience of 33 years in the Borg as a convert in more than 6 congregations ,I didnt observe anyone striving to put on a new Personality Looking back on it now ,I dont think anybody took that scripture seriously .

As a group of people they were no different from any other worldly class of people with their own idiosyncrasys,judgemental ,self righteous sometimes arrogant ,know it all,obnoxious behaviour .

Of course not everybody was like me.their were a few and I emphasize "few" who were genuinely nice helpful people.They were a rarity.

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

I was discussing this very subject with my pen pal just the other day. She wasn't brought up in a religious home, but like me she was raised to be a goody-goody. I guess I'll just post what I wrote her:

I was the same way as a child until, I think, about twelve. Being good seemed to be all I was good at - or at any rate it is all I ever got any recognition for. I was seriously good. It wasn't just that I refrained from stealing or doing drugs or swearing (that is just not being bad), but I would actively devote most of my time to doing good works like studying the Bible, going to Church three times a week and devoting seven hours a week to evangelizing. But one day I realized that, though my mom and all these others admired me, I didn't like myself. When I looked at myself I saw a pompous, sanctimonious puritan who secretly both envied and resented all the people around him. They might have been immoral, but at least they seemed to like themselves.

So I stopped reading the Bible. I experimented with drugs, masturbated, dabbled in the occult, and sought out the very worst company I could find: drug addicts, thieves, bums, strippers, whores, homosexuals and even pedophiles. I took great relish in reading Charles Darwin, along with all the other books on the forbidden list. Instead of adjusting my moral compass to suit my new direction, I simply accepted that what I was doing was evil by most people's definition of that word. I liked doing it - the more bizarre and reprobate the act, the more pleasure I seemed to take in it until I found myself loving evil for itself and only itself. But even more seductive than the pleasure, was that for the first time in my life I liked the person I was becoming. I still despised the mask I had to wear in order to please others, but it was only a mask now; it wasn't really me.

I know it must sound childish to you, but I still see myself as an evil man with no desire to reform himself or be redeemed. To me, 'evil' is just a four letter word for freedom; being evil means you're allowed to do whatever you choose without having to justify yourself or apologize. There might be consequences, but you never regret anything any more than a scientist would regret a failed experiment. With evil, there are no limits. Good people aren't supposed to hate (though they do anyways), but evil people are allowed to love. Good people strive for a state of moral perfection, but there is no corresponding destination for those who are evil because there is always some deeper abyss to plumb; some further prejudice to violate.

You might think it strange that someone who's been a vegan and a vegetarian should consider himself evil, but I personally don't see animal welfare as a moral issue, but a matter of empathy. Morality is simply an abstract code of conduct a person adopts and attempts to impose on others, wheres empathy is the capacity to feel what others are feeling. To illustrate my point: when I was twelve years old one of my friends got caught with a joint of marijuana. His parents reported him to the elders, who announced his wrongdoing before the congregation on Sunday so everyone would know to shun him. Jehovah's Witnesses use shunning as a form of punishment. Anyone who is caught breaking the rules must sit at the back of the Kingdom Hall (church) and is not allowed to speak to anyone, nor can they be spoken to; and this condition persists for weeks, sometimes even months, until the elders decide to let them back in. Well, I spoke to him. I even visited him the same day his wrongdoing was announced. But I didn't do this because I believed it was the morally right thing to do; I did it because I cared more about my friend than I did about being a good person. I loved him and I didn't give a Canadian penny for their prick-in-the-ass God!

I suppose I could adopt a moral code that suited my tastes. I've studied Plato, Aristotle, Epictetus, Confucius, John Stuart Mill, Ayn Rand, Friedrich Nietzsche, Immanuel Kant - every moral philosopher of note - but aside from Confucius (who, in the end, cared more about kindness than doing the right thing) and Nietzsche (who was a sort of anti-moralist) I have found not one of their arguments compelling. I escaped morality once, why would I want to shackle myself with a new pair of cuffs, even if they do fit better? I'm afraid that I would revert to being an pompous ass; a fanatic with a new creed, but still a fanatic. No, I will remain immoral. There is so much I haven't done yet. I don't want to leave this earth until I've tasted every sin, committed every crime, violated every taboo and experienced all there is to experience

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit